Something about Fisher I don't get

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

No one can predict injuries.It was a however risky move going with a rooke DC.There is also no excuse for the state of our return game.

Jones had shown bags of potential and could have been the answer.Might still be if he can get healthy. The signing of Haye was optimistic though since he hadn't been the same since injury in 08.

This offseason we know Jones is still hurt and also that Haye is crap. Omn top of that we let Vickerson go.It doesn't look good unless Jones can play.

Constantly sending our DE's outside because they're starting from so wide puts extra pressure on the DT's. Albert allowed us to play that way effectively because he drew so many double teams.

He's gone though and yet we're still trying to play almost exactly the same way up front.

I do not know enough about football to call a scheme but it seems logical to me that if we're struggling along the middle of the front four why not narrow the line up to a more conventional 4-3 and present a more even front.

I'm not for changing the complete scheme I'm just suggesting an adjustment because we have the players who can do what they want them to do.

That adjustment was possible at any point during the season.

I could be way off here but through the first 6 games were made no changes at all.

I do think Cecil showed progress and promise in the second half of the season. He still has a lot to prove though and we can't afford another slow start.

2. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

You've got to be kidding me. Maybe you're under the impression of 'well he's the coach, he must be right'. Not me. Nick Harper was far and away our best choice at number 2? All Harper did was let any receiver with two working legs run past him time and time again. I didn't see any knack for being in the right place at the right time. And frankly, I could care less how good a CB is at run support if he can lock down a receiver. Let the DL and LB do their job, the CB is there to stop the pass, which we couldn't seem to do at all. Maybe your old buddy Fish should have been more worried about stopping every QB we face from putting up 250 yards an a couple TD. Instead he leaves Harper in. I could beat Nick Harper in man to man coverage.

0-6 is a pretty good time to start looking at next year.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans D was pretty solid against the run. The concern was finding pressure against the pass. I don't think we want our speed DEs in a situation where they rely on a bull rush to get to the QB.

What kind of adjustment would you recommend? In the end, our DL has to be able, man on man, to win more of the individual battles. That didn't happen last season. KVB was a shell of his former self. I saw him on the ground too much. Kearse should have hung 'em up after '08. Tony Brown was solid but the other DT spot was iffy all season long once Jones went down.

I think this is more about the quality of players on the DL last season more than the scheme.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Jacob Ford was outstanding and I'd like him on the field more often now that Kearse is gone.Morgan should be an upgrade over KVB.Tony Brown is a very good DT.

In theory if Jones can play and Marks has physically matured we might be ok.

If left DT is ineffective then I think we should narrow the line up of the front 4. That doesn't mean our Ends have to bull rush. Ford has serious speed and explosiveness and great hand fight skills to beat his man.

Starting from wide when the interior line doesn't get up the field gives QB's more time in the pocket as our ends have further to go to get to their man.

5. reo

reo Starter

Haven't read any of the thread so this has probably been said but i'll say it anyway

Its no coincidence that Thompson was gone the year we drafted Griffin and Harper wasn't resigned just as Mouton and McCourty go into their 2nd years and we draft a Verner.

And its no coincidence that Thompson was cut the year Fisher got more say in who was cut.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Childress79 good points about Titan ST play. At this point Lowery, having ST Uber Stud Nickey, should be producing at least top half STs each and every season. It is a rare event when one of the 4 STs are in the top half. And usually that happens because of a rare talent - Adam Jones at PR, Bironas having a great year, Hentrich having a great year ect.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar