Sony has lost 3 Billion on PS3

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Deuce Wayne, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

2. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Thats surprising, it has been out for a while now and with RROD i expected Ps3 to have the edge, Halo would then push Microsoft ahead but then Sony rebound with MGS4. I wonder how Microsoft is siting compared to Sony

3. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Xbox 360 broke for me 3 times, it was the worst made system ever. I will always be a sony fan, shocking to hear they lost 3 billion.

4. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Not to sound like a PS3 homer or anything reminiscent, but like Gloat said, the most successful console in history started out losing money for Sony. As production costs drop, and more game sales happen, the get further and further out of the hole, and become extremely profitable for them.

On a slightly different note, is Microsoft stuck with the now defunct HD-DVD? Because isn't Sony the only maker of Blu-Ray format, and wouldn't that be extremely expensive for Microsoft to strike a deal with Sony, allowing them to use it? Can someone shed some light?

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

yeah, Microsoft would have to pay Sony tons of money to get the BluRay, As of right now, no one can make the players without paying Sony. It's bad for the consumer actually. It's the same crap they pulled with the BetaMax tapes a long time ago in the VHS era, and it was beaten because of the availability and price of the VHS, opposed to the jacked up price of the Betamax.

and Microsoft won't pay for it, not for this console, maybe next if it becomes the dominant player.

If you think about it, the Wiis don't even play DVDs, and they sell the crap out of those. people usually don't buy systems for their movie playing qualities, I would think it's more of a "nice thing to have"

6. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

well.. Sony formats their game on Blu Ray, and it holds more than HD-DVD and whatever the Wii is using, so the capability for pure disk space is more on Blu-Ray. You have to commend the Wii on what it has done. Its taken the vast majority of the casual player base. But i don't think it has much of a use for anything other than a bunch of mini games :hmm:

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Billion is heaps (though I think Microsoft suffered in the general area of costs as well due to RROD and warranty) but it is somewhat normal to begin with a loss due to new technology, Sony's new technology is a lot more expensive to produce.

Though I do believe Sony as a company has posted a profit (last quarter) so I don't think they are too worried about it.

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

That's a high loss no matter how you look for it, but things have looked up for Sony lately. It's hard to gauge overall sales performance for both PS3 and 360 as an overall product, as the Wii has an unprecedented stranglehold on the casual gaming market, which is of course where most of the money is at. I know last time I checked Microsoft had had some substantial losses with their new generation system, but I have no exact figures.
    i
    Bottom-line, I have no surprise with the fact that Sony has had such a deficit in the consoles brief history, as MANY factors have led to an almost laughable amount of mistakes.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

If those losses were real, there would be no Play Station or Xbox 360, I can assure you that. These consoles are making money for their parent companies somehow.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

They make their money from other ventures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar