Sources: NFL reinstates Ricky Williams from ban

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lOWF2P9E4Bo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lOWF2P9E4Bo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

If Marijuana is illegal in the USA, how come Ricky never got arrested? Or any other NFL player that tests positive for that matter. Any other sportsman?

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

There are lots of psych diagnoses that jerks have. I'm sure Pac can drum up a "diagnosis" to excuse his behavior also.

4. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Because it's illegal to possess it, or if you drive under the influence of it, then they will arrest you. The Police cannot arrest you for "reported" use of drugs, and they can't force you to take a drug test to prove that you have used drugs. It's too much work, and would cost the legal system too much money to do so, and quite frankly, it's not worth it.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Drumming up, and having one clinically diagnosed arent the same thing. Ricky was actually a spokesperson for Paxil, due to his social anxiety. He apparently quit taking it and started smoking again because it didnt work. Like I said, I realize this country is overly stupid when it makes illegal a drug with all kinds of health benefits, but will let Pharm companies sell things like Vioxx which stops your arthritic pain by giving you a heart attack and killing you. But the guy has been suspended for a year and a half, and guys are acting like that isnt enough time. He didnt murder somebody. He smoked a plant that has known health benefits. Its ridiculous IMO.

And Im stilling trying to figure out what Ricky and Pac have to do with each other.

And yes, I realize there can be lots of psych problems with "jerks". If you noticed I asked if Pac had been diagnosed with anything, its quite possible he has, which is why I put it in question form.

6. Riverman

My point is a medical diagnosis does not excuse somebody to break the law. Even criminally insane persons are incarcerated in a medical institution.

A diagnosis of an anxiety disorder does not justify ingesting an illegal controlled substance without a prescription.

Williams REPEATEDLY broke the league rules and the law by doing so. His timeline of marijuana use is riddled with blown "last chances" from the league substance abuse policy.

This IMO is just another example of Goodell's arbitrary nature in how he administers the league policies.

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I never suggested it did excuse anybody from breaking the law. Which first off, Ricky has never had legal problems with regards to weed, so lets keep that in mind. Secondly, in the last 3 seasons he has been suspended 29 of 48 possible games (and that includes the 7 left this year in that #). How much time should he get? A lifelong ban? What do you feel is sufficient? He has gotten much more than Pac already, which is why I cant see how you are trying to equate the 2. And from what I gather, the substance abuse policy isnt arbitrary and there are actual guidelines involved in it with regards to punishments for violaters. So, I cant see how you would make that leap either.

8. whitevick331

whitevick331 Guest

honestly, yes. Hes had many chances to pick up his act and hes failed numerous times. Why not ban him. No football fans think ricky williams is a good person. So why not ban him and wipe his face off the NFL's image. Hes not doing good for the league.
    and with the record the dolphins have, it would be suprising if he didnt smoke up some more to relief the pain of a 0 for season

9. Riverman

So are you suggesting it is OK for him to do it as long a he doesn't get caught? Or are you suggesting that the postive tests can't be relied upon to indicate he actually engaged in the illegal activity of marijuana intoxication?

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Of course its ok to do if you dont get caught. If you dont get caught and you cause no problems because of it, then how would anyone know you are doing it? So why isnt that ok? You arent hurting anyone else or causing any disruptions. Id imagine there are a lot of people we all deal with on a regular basis that smoke weed, and we have no idea of it because they dont let it affect their daily lives. You guys are acting as if he is shooting up heroin in an alley with a used needle. What he is doing isnt that bad and you can find much worse in most people medicines cabinets.

And I have heard the NFL drug testing method is very sloppy, and that Travis Henry actually has a very strong case with his appeal. Now, Ricky has admitted to smoking, so I dont doubt he did for a minute. But thats not my point. My point was he has been harshly punished for it already. You are acting as if they just let is slide, despite the fact he has been suspended 29 games over the course of the last 2 and a half seasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar