Sources: NFL reinstates Ricky Williams from ban

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I think you allow him back as much as you want. Now, if he were to test positive again, I think he would be done. Obviously another year suspension at least, would be in order, and at that point even if he isnt technically banned, I cant see any team wanting to deal with him. Which honestly, Im not sure any team will want to deal with him now either.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Are you suggesting that failure to report to 2 arrests (one of which was dismissed, the other still pending) and a public intoxication violation is worse than FIVE SUBSTANCE ABUSE VIOLATIONS, 2 of which occurred WHILE he serving his suspension? Williams failed the year-long suspension- what did Goodell do next- he let him BACK in the league. Hell yes- that is inconsistent.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

My whole point is that I dont think you can draw an accurate comparison between Pac and Ricky. I think Tank or Henry are a much closer comparison to Pac. If you think he has used up his chances and should be banned, thats fair enough, I dont agree, but Im not really debating that. I just dont think anyone can argue that Ricky getting back into the league is somehow unfair to Pac. I dont think the situations are remotely related, or even that similar. They have different punishments and were suspended under different policies. Thats really my only point.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I didnt remotely suggest it was worse. Ricky has served a longer suspension, and I havent said that wasnt deserved. Im not sure how you concluded I was saying what Pac did was worse. Ricky has served a longer punishment, and I have no where implied I think Pac should be banned from the league. So no, I didnt remotely imply what Pac did was worse. I just think Ricky has taken his punishment for it, thats all.

IF Goodell keeps Pac out after this season, Ill agree with you. As of right now, Rickys punishment has been much more significant that Pac's. Im saying they are fairly proportionate punishments.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

According to Mortenson, he tested positive for a 5th time in April/May during his suspension. He met with NFL officials and "his doctors" to determine the best way to get back in the league. So in essense, he has only served 10 games for his FIFTH offense OR Goodell and the league swept that under the rug. Take your pick- it still is evidence that Goodell is arbitrary in how he handles progressive discipline. IMO- Williams non-confrontational manner is what allowed him to come back in to the league.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Pot Charges = Gun Charges = DUI = Assault = Sudafed = ETC.

Yes, everything and everyone is the same and every situation should be judged exacty the same.

Oh yeah...

Conduct Policy = Substance Abuse Policy

Glad we are all comparing apples and apples since everything here in the forum world is considered equal.

Seriously, no one wants to give Ricky a chance here in Tennessee? Fact is he is reinstated and will probably come cheap if the Dolphins just release him. So why not pick him up for a one year deal. He can help out while C.Henry is away on suspension and while Christie Brown heals his vag or whatever ailment he has next week.

7. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

Me and Ricky have alot in common. Id love for him to be a Titan.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I guess we probably wouldn't really sign him since we have 3 Rbs that have all done well at times this season. Maybe it would be worth it though, if Chris Henry starts his suspension next week and Chris Brown isn't fully healthy or doesn't run like he did in the jacksonville game.

Of course first the Dolphins have to release him and why would they except for PR reasons.

But Ricky would be nice to have down the stretch if we didn't have Chris Henry to turn to. Maybe if Brown or Henry could play some ST we could activate more than 2 RBs on Sunday.

And of course Ricky didn't look great in the mutant canadian league, so he could easily be washed up at this point.

Still think it's worth consideration if the Dolphins cut him though. (Only a one year deal so no possible cap problems down the road from the gamble, of course)

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I think Ricky and Pac are also similar in the fact that they've both had tons of warnings, and neither seems to ever learn their lesson. To me, both bring up the question of how many chances is enough before you give up on someone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar