Spotify or Tidal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm thinking about going premium with a streaming music service. Both of these offer free trials so will probably try both.

If Tidal's service would allow for everyone in the family to use it (like Netflix can steam to multiple accounts at the same time), I'd be all over it for the CD quality. But Tidal is twice as much as Spotify.

One Spotify bonus is that I now get it on my PS3 which means it's hooked into my stereo system.

If you have one or the other, what are your thoughts?

2. XO

XO Nevada Native

I use Spotify 10/10

or I torrent

3. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Spotify is good. I will go to premium eventually, but the free version is good enough for the most part. I think I can get a discount for being a student, and I know they are doing a 3 month for 99 cents thing right now.

I used the hollified Grooveshark app for like two years, but then they shut the servers down. :(

4. TitanJeff

I'm going to throw this in as well... I need some good headphones/earbuds that I can use with my phone.

5. XO

XO Nevada Native

• LOL LOL x 1
  6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I have Spotify premium and love it. Well worth the money IMO. Never even heard of tidal so can't comment on it.

#6 SawdustMan, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Ironically, this relates to my profession, so I can maybe help you out here...

If you have a proper hi-fi system and/or good headphones, then hands down Tidal. B/c if you own that, it means you have a good ear (aka audiophile) and you'll definitely notice the difference. You won't get your money's worth from your kit, unless you've got good quality content.

I work in a high-end electronics & technology distribution company, whereby we actually also own a custom integration company as well. We represent some top brands in the custom audio, video and automation industry and provide clients with some kick-a$$ stuff.

People always end up spending a lot of money on equipment, but don't realize the content / source is JUST as important - playing MP3s and such. Now for most of us, me included, that is perfectly fine. But a good audio system will basically playback exactly what is given in - or what we say '**** in, **** out.'

Tidal is down right AMAZING on good equipment bro (i.e. high quality stereo / home theater system, clean / powerful amp, good DAC either built in the pre-amp or external, etc...) and is worth the price if you have that, otherwise, for the 'common' user, Spotify all the way (like you said offers more users and is cheaper).

Comes down to how you'll use it, much like anything else I guess...

My future system will be a pair of Bowers & Wilkins CM10s or possibly something from their 800 series... And when I get that, I will only playback lossless, b/c it makes a world of difference. What's funny though, is even though I get a great price on our stuff, I still can't afford it yet lol

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Skip to the middle of that. Lotta those types of vid's out there. Come to my showroom in Dubai, find out for yourself :)

In the end, people using Beats or Sony's, or even worse iPhone headphones, would probably never notice the difference... I'm surprised some actually did tbh.

But again, amplify that content on some Bowers / Wisdom Audios / Meridians / etc... sound systems, and I promise you, anyone not deaf would know Tidal over Spotify... Actually, even a deaf person might 'feel' the difference lol. Or if you have some good headphones (i.e top Sennheisers, or headphones driven by an amplifier - yes they exist lol), again you'll seriously know the diff.

Sorry, I like my work; I'm into audio and technology, and I'm just trying to give you some info and help you out to the best of my abilities.

But really, unless you have those types of systems and/or that type of ear, don't waste your money on Tidal. But if you do, then for sure it is the only option.

(Only problem is I really don't care to support Nicki and JayZ lol)

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. XO

XO Nevada Native

Is Tidal the Jay Z thing?

That would decide it for me.

I wouldn't give that dude or his wife a dime.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. TitanJeff

It is. I might give the trial a try just to see if the quality is really that much better with the limited equipment I have. 99% of the time, it'll be me listening with a set of ear buds so I don't know if that'll be enough to pay twice as much.

Playing with Spotify Premium now.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar