Stafon Johnson

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by oilerstruck, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

C.J. runs NOTHING like Emmitt did, but you'd have had to seen them both play to know that, all you do is look at writing on paper and decide which side to take. Javon Ringer is a compact patient zone runner, who will keep his center of gravity low and keep rolling for yards. Sounds JUST like Emmitt to me.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Actually Ringer is nothing like Chris Henry. Ringer is a strong guy for his size who is capable of breaking arm tackles, has real good vision and balance. He has good instincts as a runner but doesn't have great size and strength or blazing speed.

Chris Henry was bigger, faster and had no clue what he was doing out there.

For Rolltide and some others just look at some of those 40-50 yard runs Ringer breaks off. To the untrained eye it looks like he had a massive hole and anyone could have run through it. In reality he busts those because he has good timing, instincts and pops through the hole running through arm tackles on his way. No he isn't Emmitt Smith but give the guy the credit he is do. Last year he had two runs over 40 yards in the pre-season and one run over 50 yards in the regular season. He isn't crap and isn't it possible to be between the two extremes of Emitt Smith (one of the greatest) and Chris Henry (one of the all time worst). Actually I'd say Ringer is closer to Smith than he is to Henry.

3. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

Ringer runs behind his shoulder pads, as did Emmitt. There is a similarity, but not much of one.

He's a poor man's MJD.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Emmitt smith had amazing lateral quickness and could juke and change direction better than most of the backs who ever played and used the spin move more than any back i had ever seen.

Ringer is more of a slashing runner with a longer stride.

The comparison is stupid.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Great analysis there! Out of the 1000 backs who have played this game Ringer is more like one of the top 3-4 guys than the bottom 3-4. That proves a lot! Thanks.

Unreal.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

People can compare players without saying they are that player. Do you even know what COMPARE means? And are your parents siblings? if they are, well.....

7. 757Titan

757Titan We had zero pro bowlers

Exactly, the have nothing more in common than any other running back.

Ringer is like a slower tiki barber or C. Portis

8. 757Titan

757Titan We had zero pro bowlers

lol...

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So you admit his style is similar to Emmitt. Ahhhh, I think that is what everyone is saying. Thanks for agreeing.

Keep in mind that Ringer didn't just pop into the NFl from some little Jr. college. He rushed for 4400 yards in collge playing in the big ten. Kiper at one time called him the best back in his class, led the nation in rushing attempts, 2nd in rushing yards, first in rushing TDs his final season. He was 3rd in the nation in all purpose yards. He was a work horse in college. If not for Ringer's torn lateral meniscus he probably would have been drafted in the 2nd round.

Now for what even surprised me. Mark Ingram, a guy almost identical to Ringer in size, had an average 40 time around 4.55 but ran a great 10 yard split time of 1.53. People were raving about his incredible burst out of his stance. Well Ringer had about the same 40 time coming out of college but had a 10 yard split of 1.50. Now you know why he explodes through some nice holes on occasion but eventually gets caught down field.

Titan fans should be happy we have Ringer.

10. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

You don't have to 'learn' me on Ringer. I'm a huge Ringer fan, and think its funny how much people here are underrating him. But in the comparison to Emmitt, running behind his shoulder pads and with a good center of gravity is as far as it goes.

I've stated before he had a heavy workload at Mich St, but he has barely seen the field with us. He should be good to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar