State of the Titans: Part 1 of 3

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Volek won only 3 of 10 games as our starter and that was with a better defense than we have now. I hardly think he was the answer.

2. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

I appreciate the article immensely. While nothing earth shattering came about, it was nice to see some raw numbers to contemplate. What the article alluded to is while we have significant upgrades in several key roster positions, we are actually worse than last year?

Hell, the proof in the pudding, is we were +5 TO ratio against the Texans, and came REALLY close to losing.. WTF???

I have been a proponent of Fishers for years. Not that I am blown away by him, but I have defended him. My subjective view of Fisher is that he is an slightly above average head coach. He does have several glaring flaws.

1. His teams historically start out slow. (I have no idea why)
    2. He coddles too many players | Says he has a zero tolerance, but only if they're a role player
    3. He has a hard time playing the younger guys
    4. He is too stubborn. He thinks because he's been around that "staying the course" is the right thing to do most of the time. (ask Bush about that policy )
    5. I know a lot of coach speak, but sometimes he says things that really make you scratch your head. I often wonder if behind closed doors, he really goes home and drinks some beer and screams his head off about how crappy LT is. Any attempt to protect some of the players he does leaves me scratching my head.

Of course, with one of the worse DC's in the league, and a average at best OC, and a slew of busted draft picks in the past few years. He's been trying to fight a polar bear with a pocket knife.

I forget who brought this up, but I am beginning to start to believe. I think we are only as good as our weakest link. We have several good players, but as long as we have some players on our team who don't deserve to be in the NFL, we will be the whipping boys of the league.

3. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

simple...............when you have a bad O you get many more three and outs putting your D on the field for more plays and thus wearing them out by the third Q and getting killed in the second half.................exactly what has occured................this staff needs to go.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

But if Schwartz had the guys in the right scheme, they could overcome it.

;)

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Or maybe not get blown out already at the start of the second quarter.....

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

A better defense? What game were you watching. We were putting up 30 points a game and LOSING.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

2004 vs 2006 defense..

Almost identical. Stat wise that is but remember the 2004 defense was not bad early but imploded in the 2nd half of the year due to all the injuries. In the last 6 games of 2004 the defense gave up an average of 37 points per game! Three times we gave up over 40 and once over 50. Who in the hell can win with that?

This season we have been close in a few games and without a doubt a better QB performance could have meant victory. No question we probably win that miami game with a volek at QB.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That's a joke, right? The Jags game has been the only one that the Titans fell behind by more than 7 points at the end of the first quarter and you can thank a Young INT for that.

As for the Titans offense in the first quarter, they have averaged 1.6 points so far this season.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

even though I tried to get behind Collins for the sake of optimism I believe that Volek would have won the opener against the Jets. I am seriously questioning whether Fisher should go. I am however convinced he will.

10. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

In four of Volek's ten starts the defense gave up 20 points or less, which is not bad at all. Yet Volek was only 2-2 in those games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar