State of the Titans: Part 3 of 3

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: In part 2, we identified talent and coaching as the main culprits in this teams under-achievement. So let's take a hard look at what's going on...

First, talent. Reese has made some bad moves in letting value leave this franchise for little in return...from Jon Runyan, to Kearse, to Samari Rolle, Mason, Miller, ect. Some of these players should have been kept or traded for value even if they needed to do it a year earlier. Reese made 3 large bad calls and it has cost this franchise a huge chunk of talent we haven't recovered from yet. In addition to those bad moves, he's made many questionable draft picks. While he finds some diamonds in the rough via free agency (Wycheck) and the draft (Mason), he's missed on a lot of high draft picks and drafted players at relatively unimportant positions (like a 3rd TE who won't see the field instead of a nickel back who will play 50% of the snaps). Here's a more detailed look...

http://www.gotitans.com/artman/publish/article_001848.shtml

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Greg Gutmann is a great name.

and great overall write up.

except knocking the Chosen One.

bad bad mojo.

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Pretty good, but I still wouldn't trade Pacman. The guy is just so damn good. Maybe we can use some of that 40 million to buy Pacman a 24/7 supervisor.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I think he rates Sirmon too highly but over the 3 parts of the article I thought he was mostly spot on with his thoughts.

5. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

In part 1 and 2, I could agree with the majority of what he wrote. However, in this one I believe he got his head "stuck in the clouds". First, the whole GM/HC point is just a bit too fairytalish for me. It's just something that would not happen. Next, he starts off by saying we havn't gotten anything in return for our talent, but yet he wants to trade off two players who are two of our best on defense and with their character issues I doubt anyone will give us anything worth the hastle of trading them. Also, the position analysis is 50/50. He's way too nice to the WR position. Bennett does...well...servicable, I guess and Givens - he hasn't even done much when he plays. As for the young'ns, aside from Jones, the rest are non-existant. His OLine analysis is good. We can fix that by signing Max Starks, the RT from the Steelers, and picking a OG up in the draft - there's plenty young, talented Guards in this upcoming draft. DE is spot on - we do need a RDE and we could do this either with our #1 or try to get Jared Allen. FS is a need and I can't understand why Fuller, someone the coaches were high on two years ago, can't see the field. DT will probably stay the same with us signing AH to a cheap contract or one with incentives to protect us. CB, like he said is an enigma - do we keep pac and put some restrictions on em or do we just cut our loses? If we do trade em, is it worth the cap hit we would possibly take? As for how we should've spent our money last year - no way in hell could we have afforded Steve Hutchinson...your dreaming if anyone thinks we had a chance at him. As for Jevon Walker, he's a personality we didn't need. Anyways, thats my 2 cents.

EDIT: MLB is a high need. Sirmons gone and Tulloch is nothing more than a servicable back-up.

6. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Rivera?

What do you guys think about the Bears DC Rivera being an available coach if Fisher is fired?

7. well they are doing so well on D usually that the bears probably wont want to let him go, but i agree with everything in the articles except what he said about the WRs and Pacman

8. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Like others have stated, the article was pretty spot on. There was some things I'll point out and give my thoughts on.

1. In the off-season, you re-sign Haynesworth or Franchise him and trade him.

First of all, why would we worry anything about franchising him, he still has 1 year left on his current contract. I don't think you can even franchise someone unless their contract is up.

2. but OG and RT is the weak link in this offense right now. A new RT would help a lot! High need!

I think Stewart at RT has been a good thing, and I disagree that RT is a high need. Stewart is only started like a few games in his career, but is playing like a vet. OG High Need, but not RT...

3. Hill played solidly his first year but doesn't appear to be able to cover anymore...perhaps he can play dime unless a new DC can turn him around?

While early on in the year Hill was a major liability, he has been pretty solid for the most part the past few games. While I still think we need to draft a stud CB, I think Hill has played well enough to be a very solid backup to perhaps Nate Clements.

Everything else I agree on. I think at the end of year, Schwartz and Reese need to go. I would be okay if we fired Schwartz this week. I don't care who we get, right now, a mental patient on Thorazine would be better than ol' statistical Jim.

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I don't know much about him. While there are times I just hate the way Fisher coaches, it's risky bringing in anyone new at this time, especially someone that has never been a HC. Gregg Williams was a great DC, but failed miserably at Buffalo. I will say this.....there are times that it looks as if we either have the dumbest players in the NFL, or the worst coaching staff. Mistakes will happen, but repeated mistakes are inexcuseable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar