Statement from Mike Munchak

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Milk it Munch, MILK IT!!!!

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Why didn't Wyatt write an article instead of creating 400 tweets.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Agree. My point is that hindsight is 20/20. "I told you so" never plays well.

4. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Class guy always has been. Loved watching him back in the Oiler days as well. He was never going to be a great NFL head coach. He just picks bad coordinators and stays with them instead of admitting his mistakes and moving on. I mean he was reluctant to fire his two buddies which I kind of understand but sticking up for Lowgains and Gray; I just don't get that.

So he didn't take and extension to stay with the Titans because he had to let go Bruce, Chet, Lowgains, Gray... Does he even understand that they are gone regardless of whether he is coaching or not? No chance in hell our new coach retains any of the turds on this coaching staff.

I do think he can be a good college head coach, he'll be a great recruiter.

5. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Come back and be our O-line coach!

6. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

Good Lord Munchies is dumb.

"Fire these people who are sucking as coordinators and keep your job."
    "... no?"
    "OK, fine, you're all fired. Happy New Year!"

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

That's what I was thinking lol.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

He stuck to his convictions. That's not dumb, it's admirable.

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Sounds like he was being overly stubborn.

You can afford yourself some stubbornness with superiors when you have a WINNING TRADITION. Munchak had no place to be picky. If he wanted to keep the job, he should have done what it took to keep it. Good break for both sides.

I could see Fisher getting away with being bullheaded with the owner.. He earned his keep until the late years. Munchak is a company made man, who would have never even sniffed a coordinator position if not for bud Adams. Beggars can't be choosers.

And if munchak does not have the guts to fire people.. If he hates it so much, that is enough to tell any team or school that this is a guy you do not want helping your franchise. If he hires a bad coordinator, he'll go down with him, instead of trying to remedy the problem. In fisher's good years here, even he went through quite a few coordinators, and most other long tenured coaches.

If you hate firing people, then don't seek to become a boss.

Some people are meant to be bosses, some aren't. I would not enjoy being a boss. I don't want to fire people, I'd be happier just doing my job and going home. The lording over thing is just not me.

It seems like that's where munchak excels, in the supporting roles. It seems that this HC job has given him false ambitions, and he will probably finally regain his footing once he steps back into those roles.

At least that is what I can gather from what I have heard.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Urgh seriously?

He wasn't willing to be a yes man. He had a plan and it wasn't what the ownership/GM wanted him to do. Differing views.

Firing people is awful. He's not wrong.

He's fired people before. He doesn't like it but he's done it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar