Staying in college is dumb, if you could be a 1st round pick

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alex1939, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ght-note-barkley-wilson-175421940--ncaaf.html

I seem to remember having heated arguments with posters over Luck and maybe even Locker regarding my position that I think it is stupid and bad advice for a Junior with 1st round grade to remain in school.

The money is too much to pass up. Even now with the new CBA, Barkley was a top5 pick last year and now he is a 4th rounder.

Barkley gave up MILLIONS of dollars now to stay in school for one more year.

I'm a big proponent of education, but how can anyone say that it makes more sense to risk millions for one more year of college (that could be completed later in life)?

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Jake Locker says its never been about the money. he was offered two million dollars coming out of high school to play baseball, and turned that down to pursue football. Then his junior year passed up No.1 overall money to finnish what he started at Washington.

Some people value other things than money.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That's well and good. Life is not about money.

But we aren't just talking about money.

4. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Not to mention, if one more year in college makes you more prepared for the nfl when you get there, it is worth deferring the money.

5. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Hindsight is 20/20.

Barkley thought he would be playing for a championship, and that his stock would stay where it was.

Heck, I think most of us thought the same thing.

6. Inaccurate Passer

Inaccurate Passer Starter

Jake Locker still got paid by the Angels, dude gave up his scholarship his last year at UW and paid tuition with the money he got from a signing bonus. Dennis Dixon did the same thing

7. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If you're already a projected 1st round pick you don't need to go back and work on your game, the NFL coaches will do that. Unless you're a guy like Locker who just doesn't care and wants to go back to school then more power to you but if Barkley thought one more year of college would help him more than one NFL season then he messed up.

8. XO

XO Nevada Native

I think it is dumb for many to stay past their freshmen or sophomore years.

Lattimore and Clowney are good examples.

Go get paid.

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I don't think any of us has the right to tell someone that money is more important than education/winning a national championship/whatever. These are grown men. They can make that decision for themselves.

Just because you, I and most people would choose the money doesn't mean that it's the right decision for every person on the planet.

10. XO

XO Nevada Native

The point is... They don't get to make a decision.

NFL has rules that basically make playing college mandatory if you want to make it to the league.

Two year minimum I believe.

The NFL knows what they are doing. They have a built in farm/development league for free with the NCAA.

NCAA reaps millions off the backs of "student" athletes and the NFL gets there own free minor league.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar