Steelers dealing with key losses

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

The Titans will this weekend go up a Pittsburgh offense missing some of its most significant parts from last year.

Gone are top wide receiver Mike Wallace (64 catches, 13.1-yard average, 8 touchdowns) and top running back Jonathan Dwyer (623 yards, 2 TD), and it’s highly unlikely that injured tight end Heath Miller (79 catches, 4 touchdowns) will play in the game either.

Will those losses make a significant difference?

The Steelers didn’t look too impressive offensively in the preseason, averaging just 14 points in four losses, the second-worst figure in the league. In the third preseason game of the season, when the first-team offense played for an entire half against Kansas City, it posted 10 points.

“It looked like preseason football,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of Pittsburgh’s offense. “We had some positive moments, we had some moments to grow from. I really don’t paint with a broad brush and anticipate the regular season playing out in any (similar) form or fashion.

“The reality is that in preseason, you’re looking for certain things. Sometimes you put yourself in less than advantageous positions by design, just to know what it is you’re working with.”

The Steelers will eventually get a big boost at the running back spot when injured rookie Le’veon Bell returns, but veteran Isaac Redman will start on Sunday. The Steelers still have at least two talented receivers in Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, but neither scares defenses the way Wallace did.

“With Mike (Wallace), obviously you lose a whole lot of speed,” Steelers coach Ben Roethlisberger said. “With Heath (Miller), you lose kind of that security blanket, a comfort guy that safeties had to pay attention going down the middle. He worked the linebackers underneath. We just need the guys that are here to fill in and do the best they can.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

We all feel just terrible about that.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

Clearly we have a chance as long as the O can put up points too. Kinda wish we were paying them mid-season like last year. But then again, our new O has no tape on them now.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I hope Jake doesn't have trouble seeing the defense for who they are. We beat Pitt last year but not with Jake. Hasselbecks experience helped a lot in that win.

For instance, the Steelers like to confuse you with different stunts and pre-snap movement, I know Vince struggled mightily with reading and deciphering their Defense, hope Jake knows enough to see thru their tricks.

They have LB's that look like linemen, they have DE's lined up in all the wrong places, then turn into Tackles and the backers come off the edge, its chaotic.

Pittsburgh does nothing crazy, they just do what they do very well, and I hope we can match that cause in the past it's been hard for us to get going vs that team.

5. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

With all their injuries and missing pieces, coming off a win against them last year, I label this is a must win game if we want to set the tone this season. It's on the road, but they're depleted. If we can stop Antonio Brown from running amok, we should be able to take this W.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

In the event we lose, how many fake fans are going to throw in the towel?

7. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Not enough. Wish all the fake fans would bounce.

8. Mberglo

Mberglo Starter

I just want to see someone stomp on the towel again! I think Pollard might just do something like that. He's certainly no fan of the Steelers, coming from Balitmore.

9. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

ummm.....contradict much?

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

So big Ben is a coach too?

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar