Stephen Paea needs to be the pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by chamgel2, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

All 4 levels of our D need help. You start by fixing the dline. It completely wore down as the season went on. We need to be able to get consistent pressure in the middle to quit allowing the QB to step up in the pocket. Enter Stephen Paea, a big, quick, DT that can make plays in the backfield. Use our 2nd round pick on Jimmy Smith from Colorado or Curtis Brown from Texas and we instantly improve 2 levels of our D. I know many will say to take a QB, but I really believe Fisher will go after McNabb once he is cut, or trade our 3rd for Orton. He will want to try and win now. The easiest way to do that is to bring in a veteran QB, and build the D in the draft.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

As the first poster to say Stephan Paea (that I know of anyway) I hereby approve this message. I would take LB in the second though (Bruce Carter) and grab a safety in the free agency (Weddle, Godfrey, Mikell come to mind).

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Bruce Carter is very good, the reason I said go corner was that he struggles in pass coverage. I went through the draft a bit early, and had us filling LB in round 4 or 5 with Casey Matthews from Oregon. Although I could just as easily see us taking Bruce Cater in round 2, and going with Chekwa from Ohio State in round 3.

Edit: I should add that there is a safety in the draft that can be had in round 3 or 4 that I really like..Deunta Williams from UNC. He broke his fibula in the Music City Bowl, so he is sliding a bit in mocks, but he is very talented.

4. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

We also need to add a C/G to our line so Mike Pouncey may be worth a look if he falls to the second. I would def and an intrerior OLineman in the first three rounds.

I would be fine with Matthews in the fourth but Carter is more athletic and can run with any TE in the league.

5. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

You're right about Bruce Carter and his athletic ability...I could see them going something like this in the first 5 rounds..
    1. Paea DT Oregon St
    2. Carter LB UNC
    3. Curtis Brown CB Texas or Chekwa CB Ohio State
    4. John Moffitt G Wisconsin (may have to trade up a bit)
    5. Kirkpatrick C TCU

That would improve 3 levels of our D, and give us help on the interior of the oline.

6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I think Paea may be a stretch at 8, but he isn't a guy that I watched regularly, either. My gut tells me that Dareus or Fairley will have a sloppy workout and will be available. I would love to get one of those guys.

I'm not real big on the UNC guys. I really like the Ohio State CB. I really wish the team could get Wiesnewski from Penn State in the 2nd, but right now, I doubt he'd be there.

7. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Fairley would be great, but I don't see him sliding. I could really see Carolina making him the #1 overall pick. I know there was a report out early on that if Luck didn't come out he would be their guy. I like Dareus, and would be fine with him, but I bet he is gone. Too many 3-4 teams ahead of us that could use him as a DE.

8. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

The only way we could possibly consider taking a DT at 8th overall is if he can rush the passer like Suh. If not, then hell no, we can get a DT later. This pick should be corner if either of the top 2 guys are available. If both of those corners are gone then a pretty good pass rushing DE should be available.

9. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I have never seen a DT like Suh, and may never again, the guy is a freak. There are 3 DTs that will go in the top 15 that can all get to the QB though, Fairley, Dareus, and Paea. Any of them would be great picks. I also agree with taking Peterson or Amukamara, and taking Marvin Austin in round 2. Either way, the interior of our dline has to be addressed early or we will continue to see more of the same from the D.

10. QGP

QGP MIKE HONCHO

Yea we cant take a a run stuffing dt with avg pass rush at 8 no matter how much work ethic and drive he has. Maybe if we move back in the draft, but Fairley is the guy if hes there at 8 but thats the problem, if :hmm: He's only a junior prob. 20 or so, already 6'5 right under 3, with room for more bulk. Compared to Suh, Ngata, Casey Hampton he has the tenacity to kill quarterbacks with no regaurd for human life and make plays all over the field, sacks, tackles, tfl, interceptions! Someone that just makes play after play big hits constantly, thats what we need, not another run stuffer (tony brown) we need a pass rusher or defender. I love Peterson on film too but i think hes too talented and another guy everyone should look at is Linebacker from UCLA Akeem Ayers, dont know where his draft stock will end up when its all said and done but he can mix it up at lb defend the pass well for a bigger LB and go into a 3 point stance at end. I swear watching him on film it seems as if he knows where the ball is going every play, and has good instincts, (something none of our defenders have) and and a bigger LB 6'4 240 Id like to see a player like this on our side

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar