Steve Mcnair..then and now..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Steve then:

In 2002 the world suddenly awoke to the idea that steve mcnair was a great player. What was sad is that titan fans also took that long to awake to that notion. A few numbers to chew on..

From 99-2001 the titans winning percentage was 68%. In 2002 our winning percentage was 68%.

In 2002 steve had a passing rating of 84, From 99-2001 steve's average passing rating was 83.6.

In 2002 steve rushed for 27.5 yards a game. From 99-2001 steve rushed for 27.4 yards per game.

So what was the difference? There was none! It's all emotion. You may argue that steve heroically led us to the playoffs and you would be right. But he was also the starting QB in those first 5 games that went 1-4. Steve mcnair was the same guy in 2002 that he was the previous 3 or 4 seasons.
    --------------

Now lets jump to 2005.

In 2005 mcnair's passing numbers were very similar to 2002. His passing rating was only 1.7 points lower and his TD to int ration the same. But many of you would argue that mcnair was the best QB on the planet then and is not good now. How does that compute? His passing numbers are the same!

And in 2002 mcnair had better people to throw to. Then he had mason, dyson, bennett, mccareins. Far better than the WR situation in 2005. He had a still productive wycheck and kinney. If mcanir's numbers are as good in 2005 as they were in 2002 with less talent to throw to then how is he done?

He's not.

The obvious difference is his running which is why he will never be an elite top 5 QB again. But he can be and probably still is the 10-13th best QB. And with his experience, leadership and the possibility of being able to mentor a young QB, vince young perhaps.

By 2007 this team will have championship talent. All those draft picks from 2004-2006 will be primed. The players we just signed with the exception of our center will be in their prime. Bennett if we can find a way to keep him will still be in his prime. And who do you want to QB that team? A tough gritty jim plunkett type guy or some green kid?

We are in championship mode guys! Not rebuilding mode.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Do you have a win/loss prediction through eight games in 2006?
    Are we talking about beating the Colts here?

Are we gonna beat the Giants? How about the Patriots?
    How about the Redskins? We've got to play alot of playoff teams.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Sec...

Our schedule next year does seem incredibly difficult and unfair. I'm not concerned so much for the playoff teams but the many other teams that may be a playoff team next season. The jets seem to be good every other year. The eagles are good every year. The dolphins are like an emgerging team and the cowboys have TO now which can make them a playoff team.

It's tough. If i had to predict a first half record it might be 3-5, 4-4 something like that. Hopfully with improvement in the second half.

All those nfc east teams can't be good. My guess is that 2 of those teams fall flat. Brunell maybe starts showing his age. Barber won't be as good as he was in 2005. There is always the injury bug.

We will win at least one game against the colts and jags!

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Carpy....

I'm not saying super bowl i just think we can be a good team. Obviously that was a tongue and cheek post i obviously didn't really think 13-3 would happen. And of course you decided to use that.:sad2:

The carpy-gunny approach:
    Predict failure for the team and when the team does fail don't blame anyone. Fisher is still the best coach, reese the finest GM and mcnair is better than manning. Did i miss anything? And of course you will be among those upset that more titans were not named to the pro bowl.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Don't bring me into your little fantasy world.

The RollTide approach - Predict an unrealistic record, talk up a superbowl and playoffs, defend one and only one player, think that by doing so he is actually a Titan fan. Defend and bend over for Peyton Manning when he chokes again. Call everyone idiots for not thinking the way his stuck-in-the-60s brain works.

Maybe RollTide is really Kenny Chesney.

BTW Kenny, seems like those 'traitors' were actually realistic Titan fans. Being an idiot and being realistic are two seperate things.

FYI, I have never said that Reese is the best, nor have I said Fisher is the best. If you will remember I was one of the only ones defending McNair during the season when people wanted him bench (and I got some warning points for it).
    Where were you? Only a pre-season bandwagoner ey Kenny?

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

:lol2: Jeff... that's brutal.

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Bench RollTide!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar