Steve Young just said titans will not go deep

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by flamehead2, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The real issue is can we win our division and get a by during the the wild card week. Obviously having to win 3 playoff games on the road would be tough but having to just get one home win to make the afc championship game is certainly doable. I assume deep in the playoffs means at least getting to the afc championship.

How good is our defense really? We have been kind of a bend but don't break outfit the last 2 weeks but we create turnovers and get a lot of sacks. We have a 6-3 advantage in turnovers. Keep that up and we reach our goal of winning our division.

Is this just a good defense like in 02 and 03 or a truly dominant defense like in 2000?

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

And they went 18-1. Your point?

3. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

I don't think the patriots fit.

I'd rather go 12-4 and win the superbowl than go undefeated in the regular season to lose in the superbowl

4. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

Because nobody cares about the losers...

A friend of mine at work is a Pats fan. He asked me this morning who the Pats have this weekend. I said "I don't really care." Sorry, but I don't.

His rebuttal: "Who do the Giants have?", "Who do the Titans have?" - Both of which I answered quite quickly.

Guess I'm just tired of their organization. They're certainly not the center of the football universe. :eek: Perish the thought, right?

5. Nine

Nine Starter

I don't know Steve Young's track record as an analyst, but considering his background, I suspect he probably places a lot of emphasis on the offensive side of the ball.

I also think the fantasy football mentality has heavily influenced the way teams are perceived by fans and media alike. Everybody loves teams with good skilled position players, while strong defensive teams are generally overlooked.

Case in point: Few "experts" picked the Titans as a playoff team this year....but tons of people predicted the Cardinals and Bengals as surprise contenders this year. Heck, before the season started, even the Lions were getting more love than the Titans.

The fact is, a prolific offense might get a team into the postseason....but once they're there, it's all about defense. Look at the Pats last year: they had the most prolific offense in the history of the game, and averaged something like 35 points per game during the season. But when the playoffs rolled around, they were held in check, averaging 22 points per game, and a season-low 14 points in the Super Bowl.

Same thing with the Colts in '06. They had a great offense, powered by a high-flying passing game...but it was their defense and their running game that won them the Super Bowl.

Sure, the offense is exciting, and you can't beat the entertainment value....but if you're looking to win it all, then the buck stops with the defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar