Stewart, Mawae Fined for Hit on Merriman

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Both David Stewart and Kevin Mawae were fined for excessive hits in Sunday's 23-17 loss to the Chargers. Mawae was fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness for hitting Shawne Merriman late on a pass play. Stewart was fined $12,500 for the same play and an additional one which he shoved a player late after a play. Chargers LB Shaun Phillips was fined $7,500 for a horse collar tackle on Chris Brown. "The game is a violent game and I understand guys can get hurt playing this game. Therefore I would never intentionally try to hurt somebody,' Mawae said Wednesday. "I understand that (Merriman) thinks I took a cheap shot on him. But it is what it is. I'm sorry that he got hurt — there was no intention by it. … If the NFL deems it a cheap shot I will pay whatever fine I have to pay."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. Valis

Valis Guest

BS, 7500 for the horse collar?

3. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Funny he gets fined for a horse collar, but the ref didn't call a horse collar.
    Fine the ref...

4. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

If they were fined for hittin merriman, then why wasn't he fined for hittin Young??
    With all the whining he's doing, goes to show you he can dish it out, but he ain't man enough to take it.
    I don't necessarily agree with the horse collar fine, it should have been called on the field first.

5. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

Yea fine the refs for not flagging the horse collar, the late hit on young, not starting the clock on SDs last drive and not overturning that hideous chambers catch. The players are just out there playing the game. This is horrible. Roger Goodell needs to go away. He has ushered in a new era of No Fun League.

6. bgtitanfan

bgtitanfan Guest

this is bs, the nfl is taking away the fun in the game of football!!!!!

7. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Actually, none of the fines involved players who were flagged for their actions. If this is the case, Merriman should have also been fined for his cheap shot on VY. Should be all or none.

I was listening to NFL Radio earlier this afternoon. Adam Shien was interviewing Shawn Phillips, who was still whining about the hits on Merriman. It really ticked me off that the announcers were totally taking their side, not even mentioning the horse collar or the shot on VY.

I know this is a long shot, but I would like for us to get another crack at these whimps this year. With all the trash that Phillips was talking on the radio it would be fun to watch.

8. wino

wino True 2 the shoe..GO COLTS

Merriman didn't cheap-shot VY (IMO). VY ran into him while he was watching the play unfold instead of watching what the hell he was doing. Again, IMO, Merriman held up. I think he could've gotten away with hitting VY a lot harder than he did.

Just my .02.

9. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

I don't think he did either, but neither did Stewart & Mawae. Nor do they deserve a fine. That's what tickes me off.

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I'd like to see another angle of this Mawae/Stewie hit. What I saw barley had them in the screen shot.

The Hartsock hit was obviously legal and part of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar