Still not sold on mariota

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by wycheck28, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

He established himself as QB for a franchise twice. For 7 years in SF and for 5 (currently) in KC. Lot's of QB's have come and go since. The only reason SF moved on, was CK played well and they thought they had the luxury of 2 "franchise QB's". They were wrong.

2. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Alex Smith has been in the league for how long now? Isnt this his #14th season? He hasnt won a thing, Flacco did win a SB with the Ravens, so in their eyes his a franchise, Balimore has always been a place where they dont value QBs much, their a franchise that builds physicial defenses. Alex Smith had a very talented roster in San Fransisco and couldnt even make them a SB contender, Kaeps stint in San Fran to the SB run was much more effiecent than Smith’s for that one year.

3. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

And what has he done since? Won a playoff game in kansas city, and thats it. Dude had 15 passing TDs just last year.

He’s having the best season of his career and it only took him 15 years to do so. Lol. If Mariota has a career like Smith’s I might start looking for a new QB next year.

4. meekmode

meekmode Starter

so alex smith isn't a successful NFL QB?

5. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

12th year.
    Here's a stat
    KC record last 10 years:
    4-12, 2-14, 4-12, 10-6, 7-9, 2-14, (add Alex Smith) 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, currently 6-5 on top of the AFC West.

His last 2 years in SF, Conference Championship, then replaced by injury for SB run. He was 6-2-1 before getting hurt.

None of this was ever the point and we've completely digressed from this statement you made:
    I made my point earlier. Spread offense outside of title may be different, but he's not the first QB from a spread offense to be successful in the NFL.
    As per some of the other arguments I've had with you, you present very little facts to your point, just a bunch of subjective info that you view a certain way.

6. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Like I said I dont need to provide a thing, if you watched Oregon spread vs Purdue, Auburns or anyother spread than youd understand why I made that statement.

You didnt think I know Cam, Rivers, Brees and other QBs came from “spread offenses”? Even at sometime in Cams career he has ran a somewhat pro sheme, so has Rivers & Brees, Mariota never did, never lined up under center. Those schools offenses werent nearly the same as the Oregon spread, wich is why marcus would be the first to accomplish being the only good QB to make it in the pros coming from a true spread offense.

Alex Smth success has little to do with their success. Throwing for 16 TDs had little to do with their success.

This is by far his best year and it took him 15 years to get to this point. No thanks. No organization would look to Alex Smith level of play and in hope to land a guy like him.

7. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

When the D has no fear of a QB hurting them passing, the run game will always suffer. As the old cliche' goes, you have to pass to set up the run. Since we run more than 50% of the time with him under center, it's a decent gamble to play the run and put M8 in long yardage on 3rd down where he struggles. His main success is throwing on 1st down, if only we did more of that.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

He's the true test case for whether qbs that played in read option systems can transition to pro style offenses.

Russell Wilson played in a pure pro style offense at Wisconsin. Some read option was added to his game as a pro. But in college it was pure pro style stuff. Cam is still running a read option style offense at the pro level. RG3 ran read option his rookie year. The read option can work at the NFL level but your qb better be built like a truck like Cam is to take the pounding.

I stand by my comment that Mariota will be the first qb to transition from read option to a true pro style offense if he does.

Edit; And here's the crux of the issue - can this be done at the pro level when a qb spent 3 years at the college level doing read option reads? It's never been done before. This is why Mariota is the test case for IF it's possible or not because he has the physical skills, work ethic, and intelligence to do it if it's possible.

9. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Depends how you define “success” — Alex Smith hasnt shown enough evidence to be a QB that a franchise can depend on, or hasnt shown enough to make his WRs better or his team overall better. He’s had success when his team is balanced in 3 phases, run game, ST, and defense. Without these three his talent is limited.

10. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Yeah. I personally say they go with Mahomes. Dude has a rocket arm, and they have weapons.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar