Stone Temple Pilots reunion tour

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Childress79, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Gloves, how do you feel about that Steinberger? I once had the Yamaha version (BX-1), and I just couldn't get it to be my friend. the string spacing was weird, and the missing headstock removed my peripheral cue, so I had to watch my hands all the time.

And can you explain the pink walls, please?;)

2. avvie

I hear ya. I'm a Logic guy.

3. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

You had to play the original, copies just don't cut it. The spacing on the original Steinbergers are great, nothing beats the sound, esp if you like to play funk. I've slapped the crap out of it on many RHCP tunes and it takes everything I give it. Playability phenomenal. I could do things on it that I could on other basses. I found myself taking advantage of the missing headstock by cupping my hand, playing the first fret when playing F, Bb, Eb or Ab for any length of time, held notes, etc. The downside is that I've had to have all four tuning claws replaced as they eventually strip. Now that Gibson owns the line, the older claw (that I need) are no longer available. That means the repairman needs to be creative.

After much hand cramping (wider neck), my Ibanez is now my main axe as my band plays tuned down 1/2 step to Eb, like Green Day. I love the fact that I can play 2 1/2 scales w/o moving my hand. Odd tuning is a cinch with this bass and it sounds fantastic as I keep it armed with Elixir Strings. They're expensive, but I only have to buy a set every 4 months or so.

The flash makes the walls seem pink, they're really Mauve. My wife picks the interior colors, everything else for that matter. I was hoping no one would notice.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

It's always wise to mention 'the wife' when discussing your pink walls.:))

5. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

....ahem, but I did pick the remainder of the floor, which is a soothing green. (...checking manhood....) :gag:

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Found this in my ftp queue.. I've done a couple of other refin's since with great result...

[​IMG]

7. avvie

So, CC, what's the attraction of the LP Jr.? While it looks to have that trademark Gibson comfort and playability/scale, it also looks like the electronics would give it a horrible thin and brittle sound...it almost looks like those beginners' Silvertones from the old Sears catalogs.

(For those of you too young to know, the largest mail-order retailer used to be Sears, Roebuck and Co...it was just like Costco, but you didn't have to look for a parking space.)

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The pots and plugs etc. are the same you'd find on any Les Paul and vintage P90 pickups (especially the old dog eared style) are some of the most sought after pickups out there.. They sound brighter than humbuckers but not nearly as thin or brittle as Fender Strat/Tele style single coil pickups. They have more of a "sweet snap" sound vs the "plinkity click and a horrific squeal" sound you get from most single coils if plugged into a British amp.

Some famous P90 recordings for sound reference:
    STP (ironically): much of the stuff on Purple and Tiny Music
    Stones: Midnight Rambler
    Bob Marley: all his stuff
    Johnny Thunders - solo and NY Dolls recordings
    Social Distortion: all their stuff
    Mountain: Mississippi Queen
    Sabbath: All the early Sab records
    The Who: Much of the early and Tommy era stuff
    Beatles: Revolver era stuff (those Epi
    Santana: Early records before he became Mr. PRS
    I'm sure there's a bunch I'm not recalling.

BTW, those old Sear Silvertones are pretty awesome in my book. Jimmy Page liked em enough..

9. avvie

I hear ya.
    I'm totally Strat-less now, and that bugs me a little for some tunes I'd like to record, but my Brian Moore has that LP neck/bridge humbucker config...first I've ever owned like that. I had no idea that the LP middle position was such a funk standard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar