Studying Online/Correspondence

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I am thinking about doing either another uni degree or getting my Masters via university by correspondence, so I don't have to quit my job or lose hours or anything. This all depends on the interview for the dream job which still hasn't come up (lazy sobs).

Anyway I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with online courses (or units) or by correspondence and if so, how did you find it?

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

In the US there is a huge number of on-line degrees offered for undergrad and grad. It really depends on what you want to study. Most the undergrad degrees offered at accredited schools are in business or general studies type degrees and typically require about 2 years of college credit prior to enrolling in the programs. Masters degrees are offered in a very broad range of areas and there are about a trillion MBAs available. Right here in Tennessee you can get an MBA from Tennessee Tech (a good school) without ever coming to campus.

Personally I have two Masters degrees from East Carolina University. One is in Industrial Technology and the other is in Occupational Safety. The on-line classes are challenging and often require more projects and reports but the best part for me was working with classmates from all over the country on projects via e-mail, chat and blackboard sessions. Some of the teachers/schools require you to take proctored tests but some tests are on-line with time contraints. Some are open book essay types. Some have DVDs or on-line downloads where you watch of actual classroom lectures while some classes don't have traditional lectures at all. Some schools have the lectures already recorded. I almost decided to complete my second Masters in Industrial Hygiene at Tulane (a very prestegious school) but decided to stay at ECU.

Anyway the options now days are incredible with virtually every state school system and many private schools offering some form of on-line or correspondence programs. I know of two engineers who completed a program in Engineering Management at the University of Tennessee. One friend of mine and former boss completed a Masters in Material Science at Auburn University.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If you do one through the better programs, I've been told a Master's Program course can easily take 30 hours a week (including projects and study). But there are only one or two programs in the nation which are considered "worthy" for my industry.

Like everything else, it depends on what you want to study. Tell me and I'll try to PM you some suggestions.

4. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Make sure the courses are through an accredited program.

5. maximus

maximus Starter

What do you want to get your Master's in
    Make sure the school is accrediated.
    What is the academic reputation of the school? How much work do you want to do?

6. Sappersis

Sappersis "custom user title here"

I've taken over 60 hours online through my University. I LOVE IT!!! Actually prefer it a lot of the time. Just depends on the course and the professor who teaches it really.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Security, Terrorism and Counter-terrorism. (FBI might be raiding my house minutes after pressing submit)

Like I said before I will do it pending the interview for the job whenever that may be. But I am hoping to do it regardless of passing the interview, just it is a matter of when and at what time.

Down here we don't have heaps of colleges/universities like you guys, I can think of 8 of the top of my head and there wouldn't be many more. But I digress. The university this one is through is through one of the well known universities in Australia.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Well Gunny is going back to uni via online.

Masters of Policing, Intelligence and Counter-Terrorism.

I will be here even less than I have been starting in a few weeks.

9. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Good luck G!

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Congrats. Always a good choice to get more education. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar