Super Bowl to be played in London ?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Daves not here, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

man, thats just like, un-american.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Yeah it would.

I believe the pre-season game we had in Sydney awhile back sold out.

3. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Very true

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

What a pile of crap.

The NFL now has a huge fan base across Europe who know the game inside and out.It's well established now over here.

NFL Europe failed because it was worse to watch than a season of pre season games.

I don't think that the SB should be played outside the US.It would however generate a lot of extra interest in the NFL.

The SB live is played at unsociable hours outside of the US yet it's still a massive draw.Airing it at an earlier time of day would greatly increase it's international profile in my opinion.

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

They've been talking of playing a SB in London for a few years now. It is going to happen, eventually. I think it's wrong, just like raising ticket prices during a recession, but it happens anyway.

Unsatiable greed will push the powers-that-be to alter what made the NFL product popular, and over saturate it to the point that it begins to lose its appeal.
    People just can't be content with a golden goose...

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

The NFL Europe failed because it sucked. High player turnover meant you were cheering for a bunch of guys you didn't know anything about.

I was at Wembley last year, and it may have sold out, but there were more than a few empty seats. That said, people who attended were bonafide NFL fans and the atmosphere outside the game was great. Inside a little less so, probably because it was a very mixed fanbase.

I had the impression that tickets for the SB were so expensive that the average American didn't go anyways and in that case I don't see a problem with moving it to a different country. But if it means less fans of the participating teams will be able to go to the game then I think it should stay in the US.

7. pjburrage

pjburrage Camp Fodder

It should stay in the US, even being a UK based fan I would feel a bit letdown if I have to go to a Superbowl at Wembley. Would much prefer to go to one in the US as the whole thing would be more 'real'.

Feasibly it wouldn't work anyway, doesn't start till almost midnight over here, and considering we can't even get 24 hour public transport for the New Year's Eve celebrations, I doubt London will be able to host a 85,000 crowd attending a huge sporting event not finishing till the early hours of the morning.

If Goodell and co want to continue promoting the game over here, give us NFL Network, continue to give us one game a season, if he goes with this international week in the expanded schedule, send the same team over to London for a few years and give those that are coming into the game (viewing figures were up 10 fold after the Dolphins-Giants game) an affinity with one team. The other idea raising it's head over here is of a franchise, which wouldn't work either as the majority of fans over here have a team they like already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar