Take Five

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titanbuoy, Aug 30, 2008.

?
  1. I know this song well.

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Don't really know it, but it's pretty familiar

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Completely unfamiliar

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. I refuse to listen to this crap... bugger off.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Just curious about something. I hope you'll indulge me.

When I was just starting to get into jazz I found that as I began listening to various albums there were a bunch of songs that I was surprised to find I was was familiar with. These were tunes that I could have sworn I didn't know, but at some point in growing up I'd heard them enough that they rang familiar. In retrospect I put a lot of this down to my love of old movies and a diet of classic cartoons when growing up (you'd be amazed at some of the music contained in vintage animation).

Anyways, I just thought I'd see if even still some classic tunes are known to the masses unknowingly (does that make any sense?). Whether through soundtracks, muzak, commercials or whatever some tunes become an engrained part of our culture even though we aren't truly aware of them.

Give this a listen (it's 5 minute long, but if you don't feel like listening to the whole thing I think you should recognize it pretty quick if you know it).

Submitted for your audio perusal

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/faJE92phKzI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/faJE92phKzI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I like this song and recall it well from it being played in a movie/s....

thinking Thomas Crown Affair.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

jazz standard. Nonetheless one of my favorite songs.

love the drummers look.

the George Benson version is awsome!

The Cannonball Adderly song was great as well

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Crap.

Lack of bandwidth means I can't see the vid.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I've known this for most of my life, though I couldn't have said the title. I'll get a cd just for the background, I rarely pay close attention to jazz, though I enjoy it. Got to hear some great jazz during the 4 years that I lived in New Orleans...

6. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Just last week I think I heard Al Jarreau scatting this tune out with lyrics.

..hence the term "standards". Thousands upon thousands of variations on the same tunes.

7. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Yes, but many standards are unknown to today's listener. I was surprised how many I knew, but there were many that i didn't. West End Blues is great american jazz standard, but if I hadn't picked up some early jazz albums I doubt I'd be at all familiar with. I can't help but think that in today's culture kids aren't getting the exposure to these standards that we did as kids.

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Maybe they'd appreciate jazz a bit more if their had been more songs made about b*****s and hos?

9. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

:ha: I don't think that's really fair, but at times it seems the case.

When we were kids we watched reruns of TV shows, cartoons and movies that were made in the forties and fifties. This exposed us to a lot of period art. I think our generation was lucky to have a bridge of familiarity that perhaps allowed us the opportunity to more readily enjoy this great music.

I used to watch a ton of Little Rascal and Abbott and Costello when I really young (I think I could recite "who's on first" by the time I was 5 years old). If you go back and watch that stuff you'll find it's full of 'Tin Pan Alley" classics and other American and European standards. I swear my early introduction to classical music was through Bugs Bunny, not some rigid school recital.

As a result the first time I purchased a CD that had the tune "April in Paris", "Summertime", Something's Gotta Give etc, I felt as though I could almost sing/play along.

10. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Dave Brubeck's signature tune. His use of incorporating 5/4 time was astounding.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar