Talk/rumours of trading out of #2

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Gunny, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

There is a tonne of talk about teams offering us picks to try to get to #2 and take Mariota. It sounds like it's a foregone conclusion we won't be the ones picking at #2 and we could get a good deal for it.
    And also take into account what was said by KW/RW yesterday.

So, will you consider it a failure on the GM if we do not trade out and stay at #2?

#1 Gunny, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

if we take mariota yes, because hes obviously a back up plan at best, and that doesnt bode well for our future.

ill be as positive as i can, for as long as i can, but i dont see it ending well. strap yourselves in for a long two years folks

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I really wish the point system would go away. Completely irrelevant to team need and value.

If we can get multiple picks from a guy we were so so on, then screw the points.

The only way we fail, is if we draft a bust or two.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Depends really. Let's say we take Leonard Williams at #2 and then the Browns give up 12, 19, 43 and a 1st rnd pick in 2016 to move up to the Jags right behind us....then we know WE could have had that deal and then there will be real pressure for LWill or any player taken there to perform.

If we see Mariota drop to say 10 and there is no trade up for him and we pick our guy at #2, I think ppl would see that as no good trade offers.

If we take Mariota at #2, then it is what it is.

So it really comes down to what is offered (if we find out) and what we chose to do (trade back, take Mariota, or another player at #2).

5. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

exactly. why i said id take 12 and 19 if thats the best option and not think twice

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

IF we are so so on Mariota we should not take him. But quite likely the 12 and 19 picks will not have the same options as the top 5+ players in the draft. Possible one or more fall and we can get someone good at 12, but we could lose positional flexibility as well as a much lower talent. Potentially, it'd be like trading down from #2 for 2 2nd rnd picks if you have say 16 players rated as first rndrs but exclude the ones that don't fit your system.

If they really like Mariota, they will take him unless there is a blockbuster deal (or at least equal trade value for the move). If they aren't too high on Mariota, they will take less to trade out but it will be a cost benefit analysis of who they are giving up at 2 vs who they think they can get at 12 and 19 for instance.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

You already show your hand if you wait too long.

8. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

The biggest failure would be to trade back and not receive enough in the deal.

I am genuinely more afraid of that happening than drafting Mariota.

I just hope our FO has their sh*t together and won't just accept some dumb lowball offer if all else fails.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 4
    • High Five High Five x 2
  9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I think just the opposite. If you wait you are telling them it's not enough to get you to pull the trigger because you'd ratyher have the QB!!! I think any deal will not go down until the titans are on the clock unless it is a blockbuster deal.

It would be very interesting if TB took mariota #1 to see who if anyone would try to move up for Winston.

10. Carp

Carp Starter

Sorry, but no. I get you don't like Mariotta, but that is a terrible, terrible return for the No. 2 overall pick, especially in this draft with so little 1st round graded talent. We fall back all the way to 12 for our 1st pick? Who we taking there? An OT? A 2nd tier WR? Just......no

If the FO honestly doesn't think Mariota fits,and the best trade offer we get is two 1st rounders, then we better take Leonard Williams instead.

• High Five High Five x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar