Taylor Lewan “vastly improved” at right tackle

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Pro Football Talk, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Football Talk

Pro Football Talk Titans News

[​IMG]

The Titans made Taylor Lewan their first-round pick this year based on his production as a left tackle for the University of Michigan, but the other side of the line may be where he winds up hanging his hat as a rookie.

Lewan has been learning right tackle this offseason as the Titans prepare him to play on either side of the offensive line. With Michael Roos at left tackle, learning the other side gives Lewan a chance to push Michael Oher or serve as the team’s swing tackle while he acquaints himself with the NFL game.

Lewan says it was a rough adjustment at first, but says he feels “vastly improved” heading into training camp. Offensive line coach Bob Bostad said Lewan has to know how to play both sides because it is “a game of attrition” and generally agreed with Lewan’s assessment of his progress on the right side.

“I think it’s definitely a challenge for him,” Bostad said, via the Tennessean. “I think you have to reach a certain comfort level, and what number of reps that is and what point in time that is, I don’t know. But I think he’s made a lot of improvement in watching his feet and the way he’s staying more square and playing — things like that.”

The contract Oher signed in free agency gives the Titans incentive to start him and the fact that Lewan remains a work in progress on the right gives him a good chance of holding onto the job into the regular season. If that’s the case, Lewan may have to wait for Roos’ likely departure from the team after the 2014 season to move into the starting lineup.

[​IMG]

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I would certainly hope a right handed franchise LT can make the switch, not that hard IMO, but glad to hear he's over his "struggles".

3. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Fine with me if he starts at RT, but hope he turns into a damn good LT

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think this will be unpopular, but I hope he sits the bench the entire season and gets a full year of learning from Roos/Oher and the coaches. I also hope the guy does have his head on straight and will be both a bookworm and invest every minute to physical conditioning.

To draft him so high, he needs to be top5-10 OT for about 10 years. Basically I want him to learn and save a year of wear and tear on the body until we see how the rest of the team and season shake out.

Nothing wrong with having a really good backup offensive lineman either.

• High Five High Five x 7
  5. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Told you guys. Were are now wasting a ton of money for Oher to ride the bench. That's what the Titans are good for. Same thing with Greene.

6. RTH

RTH Meh...

Frankly, I don't see it as a waste. I see it as insurance.

If the team hadn't gotten Lewan - or even a decent tackle - having Oher would be an upgrade.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Considering we paid that scrub CJ over 30 million dollars these past few years I'd have to agree with you. We sure are good at wasting money.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Not trying to be a dick, but do you really not understand?

• High Five High Five x 4
  9. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

You know i dont think he gets the concept of sequence of events

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

At least his past play earned it. These guys haven't done anything to earn it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar