Teams with the most cap room

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by eTitan81, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

gonna have too trust the FO on this one. They have all the medical/personal information on FA

They were correct NOT to give Kearse the big $$$s, as much as I hated seeing him leave. Of cousre FR decided too give the $$$$ to a bunch of 30+ guys and take another run for glory and that did not work out and the team had too be all blowed up.

Hopefully MR will not make the same mistake with the CAP $$$

2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

There's only 3 free agents I would be willing to spend big money on: Big Al, TJ and Nnamdi. If we don't win it all this year, I see nothing wrong with getting 2/3 to help put us over the top.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't see how we can keep him. It's not just the cap room this year but the effect of a $12M contract down the road when the cap hit might be as high as 15M.

I think albert wants to test the open market. He has seen what average players can get on the open market and wants to see how high he can go.

There are some other Dt FA that could help us. Rocky bernard is a good player in the roberire smith mode who would demand about half what AH would.

John thornton might want to finish his career here. Scouts.com rate him as the 4th best FA DT.

I can't imagine we won't keep kerry and we have to sign bironas. My guess is that we sign most of the people on that list except AH.

For those thinking we can sign a top WR? Forget it there are none.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That would ruin the cap for the long term. I would rather pay $10M a year for a shut down CB than $12-13M a year for a DT who only is on the field 55% of the time. Add a top CB to the guys we already have and we would be deadly!

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How would dunta robinson look in a titan uniform?

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

But what if that 55% are game-changing plays? The guy blows up offensive lines and makes those around him better. I think he's proven he is a top three DT in the league.

I would take Haynesworth over Champ Bailey right now without question.

7. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

Hmmm good question....Dunta is a CB that could highly succeed in Titans defensive scheme....could be a nice duo Dunta and Finny.

Its hard to judge Robinson on his play, since he has had to deal w/ Houstons pourous defense and constant change of schemes. Guys a little on the short side at 5'10 but he is worth looking at.

And for those worried about the Titans getting into salary cap hell again...well that isnt MR's motto. He did a great job in Seatle in keeping players worth the money, and letting go those who arent.

But I hope Big Al doesnt get severely money hungry...what ever happened to the days of loyalty from both parties, the FO and the player??

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff the issue isn't just comparing AH to champ bailey a CB who by the way has been to 8 pro bowls. It's a matter of cost.

AH is the highest profile FA. At least 4 teams are going to really work hard to sign him and that pushes the price even higher than his value. Dunta robinson if he is still available wouldn't even be the #1 CB.

We are talking about maybe a 4-5M difference in the contracts. It's a tough call between AH and a top CB but if AH costs 30% more that's a no brainer because we still have to pay collims, bironas and others.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Each season, those who get the big contracts eclipse those from just a year or two ago. If Bailey was on the market, imagine the deal he'd get. If the Titans want Haynesworth, it'll be a record-breaking deal for a DT.

Of course the Titans will have to weigh any deal they make with Haynesworth with those names (and others) you mention. I'm thinking Reinfeldt will continue to make sure the cap stays in check so I think he has a number he won't go beyond.

I still believe that number won't be enough unless Haynesworth wants to stay here.

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I do think Reinfeldt has pegged a number that he thinks we can afford, and I expect that number will be around 20% less than the highest offer Al gets elsewhere. There aren't many teams out there with the cap space AND the winning potential to lure him away though. Al isn't going to want to go to a team that is in rebuilding mode, so Tampa may be one of the only teams that would be able to offer him enough incentive to leave. Maybe Arizona, but they are in a similar situation to us - lots of cap space but also a good number of key contracts expiring over the next couple of years. If they want to keep Boldin, Dansby and Wilson they won't have much room to out-bid us for Al.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar