Tennessee Titans 2017 NFL Draft Grades

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Apr 29, 2017.

?
  1. A+

10.0%
  2. A

10.0%
  3. A-

15.7%
  4. B+

32.9%
  5. B

20.0%
  6. B-

5.7%
  7. C+

2.9%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

1.4%
  10. D+

1.4%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

2. TitanJeff

3. TitanJeff

B

"The Titans wanted to get a receiver and corner with their first two picks, and they did that. They got the best receiver in the draft in Western Michigan's Corey Davis with the fifth overall pick. They then came back and got USC corner Adoree Jackson with their second first-round pick. It was a nice one-two hit. They added another receiver (Taywan Taylor) and a tight end (Jonnu Smith) to give Marcus Mariota some more weapons."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...eams-five-earn-as-and-two-fall-short-with-ds/

4. TitanJeff

A-

"They improved three phases of the game with a pair of first rounders. Corey Davis, who has the most receiving yards in Football Bowl Subdivision history (5,278), is the No. 1 receiver QB Marcus Mariota has lacked. Adoree' Jackson has time to develop into a No. 1 corner but will be an elite returner the moment he steps onto an NFL field. Third-round WR Taywan Taylor could be the slot nightmare Kendall Wright never really became. This team looks ready to win the AFC South."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ades-2017-best-worst-classes-picks/101083944/

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. TitanJeff

SB Nation grade: B-

CBS Sports: B

USA Today: A-

Sports Illustrated: B+

Washington Post: B-

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. TitanJeff

B+

"The Titans spent a couple years’ worth of drafts finding their QB and getting their offensive line in order. This time around, they heavily went after help for the passing attack. Advantage: Marcus Mariota, who now has dynamic WR Corey Davis (pick No. 5), Western Kentucky WR Taywan Taylor (No. 72) and the Delanie Walker-like Jonnu Smith (No. 100) at his disposal. Cornerback was the other big need for Tennessee, so it used pick No. 18 on Adoree Jackson, who can be a chip for both offense and special teams but is in need of extensive development as a DB. A reach, per our board. No coverage concerns with fifth-round LB Jayon Brown (No. 155). He’s a potential special-teams dynamo who can help in sub-packages."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/29/nfl-draft-grades-team-picks-results-analysis

7. TitanJeff

B

"I can quibble with the value of taking Corey Davis at No. 5 and Adoree' Jackson at No. 18 -- and I did -- but I do like both guys, even if I had higher-rated players on my board. Davis is still a bit of unknown because he didn't work out before the draft. On tape, he dominated at Western Michigan, but that's obviously a different caliber of opponent than what he will see each week in the AFC South.

Jackson is undersized (5-10, 186), raw and still improving but has value as a punt returner. He could also play a few snaps per game at receiver, too, and I'm sure Marcus Mariota would welcome that. The Titans deserve some credit for sticking to their board and going with clear needs, but with no second-round pick because of last year's trade up for Jack Conklin -- a stellar move, by the way -- there is some risk.

Taywan Taylor led all FBS players with 3,197 receiving yards and 34 touchdown catches over the past two seasons, and Jonnu Smith has some upside as a pass-catcher. Tennessee clearly put a priority on getting Mariota some weapons. It didn't have a field-stretcher, but Taylor can help there, and Delanie Walker could be cut for little dead money after the season. Jayon Brown, who replaced Myles Jack in the Bruins' defense, is an inside defender in a 3-4, and Josh Carraway had 17.0 sacks over the past two seasons.

Overall, a lot of talent here and a nice job in general manager Jon Robinson's second draft."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/mel-kipers-2017-nfl-draft-grades/story?id=47112467#TEN

8. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

A

Offense, theoretically, should be fixed for the next several years. Maybe adding a small piece here and there.

Not sure about Jackson but willing to wait and see.

This offense should be fun to watch this season.

The defense may not be top 10, but its improved and its enough to get us into the playoffs imo.

9. TitanJeff

B+

I honestly knew nothing of anyone the Titans took after the third pick until I read some draft bios. Because of that, my grade is based on just these three.

Davis - I love production and consistency and he is both. It spooks me a bit that he did it against lesser competition but felt he was the best WR in this draft. He's a beast in the red zone too.

Jackson - he's a special athlete but a bit shorter than I'd like for a future #1 CB. No doubt he can help the Titans in other ways as well.

Taylor - productive and explosive slot receiver. I saw him abuse my Blue Raiders more than once. I think the bubble screen will be a staple in the Titans offense.

The Titans desperately needed speed and got it. Besides Mariota now having more weapons, I think this will give the running game a big boost as well. The big play potential for the Titans just took a big jump too.

You have to know Robiskie is loving this and will find a way to get all three of these players on the field. The Titans could become one of the more exciting offenses to watch for years to come.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

OK. I get the enthusiasm. There is definitely a lot of speed with these selections. JRob had a clear and singular vision of what he wanted to add. He deftly moved around in the later rounds to get capable bodies able to compete. I like the small school "Hungry" guys. It seems to me JRob wants guys who have already had to work harder than others around them. I agree that will likely translate into a squad composed of singularly focused players.

I didn't like missing on the idea of having some combination of Adams/Lattimore/Allen and OJ Howard. But we've definitely addressed the offense and could quite possibly pick up the needed veteran CB piece later this off-season. McCain is not the answer for sure. We are thin at pass rusher and CB and we did elect not to address that with high probability draftees so we're going to see how good JRob's scouting really is at picking up diamonds in the rough. I'm intrigued with the TCU OLB.

Despite my hyper-critical griping, I gave us a B. I think we could have done a bit better with round 1, but I get where JRob went after no trade for 5 worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar