Texans should force passes to Johnson

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

Force it.

If you've got Andre Johnson, you can't settle for Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels. Those two are great, but they need to be second and third options. If defenses are making you to go to them instead of Johnson, they are winning.

So as the Texans get ready to face the Colts Sunday at Reliant Stadium, I say force it.

There is no way Walter and Steve Slaton should have as many catches (15) as Johnson or that Daniels should be just one off the pace. Sure it's nice to have good distribution. But Johnson needs to be fed.

I chatted with two scouts about Johnson this week, and they offered specific ways to get him the ball early.

One said while Johnson has faced bracketed coverage that prompts Matt Schaub to turn elsewhere but that Johnson is a rhythm receiver who needs to be involved from the start and build on it. He said the Texans should call for five-, six- seven- or eight-yard hitches and quick slants to get Johnson feeling a part of things out of the gate. In so doing they'll ensure he's feeling alive and coming off the snap the rest of the game wanting the ball, and expecting it.

The other said he'd like to see smoke routes - plays where the QB can throw to Johnson against off coverage out of what's really a run play, getting the ball in his hands quickly against a corner who's giving a cushion.

Johnson, always a good soldier, has sounded frustrated this week. (If you missed it this morning, here's Richard Justice's account.)

The Texans aren't going to come out and talk about a concerted effort to get Johnson the ball, even if that's the plan. (Have I mentioned I think it should be?)

"If they want to take him away, then other guys are going to make plays," Schaub told Houston reporters. "He understands that, I understand that, our offense understands that. For us to be successful, we need him in the mix. But if other guys step up like they did this last Sunday to make plays then the next team down the road can't necessarily focus on Andre so much because they say, 'Hey, Kevin Walter, Owen Daniels, Steve Slaton; they can all make plays too."

It's a good theory.

What I think those teams will really say is, "Hey, if we put the clamps on Johnson, they may just be willing to go to Walter and Daniels and Slaton, and we'd much rather take our chances against those guys than the guys with 25 TD catches and an ability to bull through our DBs and get that team feeling super-confident."

More...

2. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Yeah force him the ball, especially in double or triple coverage so it'll be an easy pick. Forcing the ball to an obvious option is always a good choice if you want to give away easy interceptions and batted balls, maybe they should get a QB good enough to get him the ball when he's open.

3. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

We sure haven't heard from our cows fans on here in a while.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

throw the ball to daniels! it's kellen winslow's bye week!

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

moo

6. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Yeah this sounds absurd to me. He's covered but FORCE the ball to him. Sounds smart. Sure he is your main weapon ( well only weapon for those dirty cows), but just like Schaub said ..... others have to step up and then in turn move coverages to themselves.

But hey if they want to start throwing into tight coverage i'm all for it.

Good point also ....... where has Overalls been? For that matter Omaha Colt and Jag Jim?

Suckers

7. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Its kinda hard to talk trash when you're back two games four games into the season...

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

JagJim only appears once a season...usually the week before the Jags lose to us and then he never returns.

omaha is still struggling with the 2nd grade.

Overalls - Probably in prison for standing up during yet another Texans home loss.

9. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

overalls is a texan fan. He's never been in a position where he should talk trash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar