TF is so wrong with a QB who can run the ball?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mcnair and Young combined have a great record as starters for our team and the only year we made the playoffs without one of them was in 2008.

We saw how Mcnair despite average passing numbers was a top 10 QB because of his ability to keep drives going with his legs.

I wouldn't take a guy just for that fact but if a QB meets the pther criteria and can also run with the ball what is wrong with that? Is being a good runner automatically mean a guy is unable to be an effective passer or leader?

Also i think it fires up the team when a Qb makes an extra effort for the team.

I'll take Cam Newton in rd one or Terrelle Pryor in rd 2 if he is there. Those guys are great players.

2. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Pryor in round 2? You realize most scouts have him going as a WR right? How many Super Bowls has a mobile QB won? Playoff games? How many did McNair and VY win? Don't get me wrong, I love McNair for his heart, and he was unlike Newton or Pryor because he could throw, but we need a pocket passer. If McNair had played in a more open offense he would have had a career like McNabb's, he could sling it. He is nothing like Newton or VY or Pryor. The only years we have made the playoffs was because we had a dominant Dline, which makes the entire D better. Why do you want to get rid of one mobile QB to draft another? Look at the teams in the playoffs this year, how many have a mobile dual threat Qb? 1, and that is Michael Vick. How many last year, zero? The year before? We can do this all day. They do not win in the NFL because they rely on their legs instead of learning to read and break down Ds.

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I don't think there's anything wrong with a QB who can run around. They just need to be able to throw the ball well and make good decisions first and foremost. Scrambling ability should just be an added bonus, not your main threat.
    Michael Vick '04 = do not want
    Michael Vick '10 = yes please

4. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

You're right...a QB like McNabb(when he was younger) that would scramble to extend plays, but looked to pass first is fine. A QB like Pryor or Newton who will make one read, and if it's not there tuck and run is not. There is a big difference between a passing QB that is mobile, and a pure running QB.

5. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Pryor sucks. I hear a lot of talk between Cam and VY. Pryor is straight out of VY's gene pool. And if you wanna talk about character issues, look no further than these two.

Besides, Pryor said he was returning for his senior year.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I guess it depends on what the definition is for a running QB. Since there have only been a little over a handful of really good running QBs in the league.

Not sure how a guy who can run the ball is automaically inferior in everything else but with all this talk about how dumb Newton and Pryor are and gene polls i do smell some racism in the air.

I watched the sugar bowl and Pryor was hardly the lesser QB in that game and was the game MVP. He did say he was coming back to Ohio State next year even though he is looking at a 5 game suspension to start the season.

7. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

It's nothing racist. McNabb and McNair both were pass first QBs coming out of college. Pryor and Newton are not. They are run first, pass 2nd QBs. As has been said, most scouts see Pryor as a WR in the NFL. He was very impressive in the Sugar Bowl, and in last year's Rose Bowl. But that doesn't mean it translates to NFL success. Newton will be a QB, but he is a project. He doesn't take snaps under center, and isn't asked to read defenses. He is asked to look at his first option, if it is not there, then he creates something on his own. A pocket passer who can create with his legs is what is needed to be successful in the NFL. It has been proven time and time again. The run first QBs are great to watch, they are exciting, but that does not translate to playoff wins.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

John Elway, Steve Young, Brett Favre, and Ben Roethlisberger all won Super Bowls. McNabb and McNair both made it to the Super Bowl.

Being mobile is not a detriment, it just can't be the first thing a guy turns to when things get tight.

And Tide, saying you smell racism when it comes to Pryor and Newton is ridiculous. Pryor isn't even that good of a college QB(OSU fan, BTW) and Newton has never taken a snap from center or had to read a defense.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Lets put it this way...

If Pryor didn't have his legs' ability in the sugar bowl, meaning he didn't run for the numerous first downs, rack up 115 yards on the ground, or extend plays with his mobility, Ohio State would have been slaughtered, maybe even shut out. Agreed?

Pryor doesn't have the speed to get away from NFL defenders effecively, very few do. He's slower than Vince Young, and we all saw how ineffective VY was at running the ball as his career progressed. Pryor uses his legs to bail himself out more than anyone I've ever seen at the college level.

So picture Pryor in the sugar bowl without his legs, and thats what its going to be like in the NFL. He doesn't have the ability to throw the ball at a high level in the NFL, so I don't want him to be my quarterback.

Consider all that and the fact that he's a head case. No thank you.

Newton is definitely the better of the two, and I could see him succeed in the NFL, but not as a runner, as a passer.

10. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

BigTitan, you missed the point of the argument.....all of those QBs you mentioned were mobile yes, but they were pass first QBs. Newton and Pryor are not. There has never been a run first QB win in the playoffs and make it to the Super Bowl. I used the word mobile in that comment, but it should have been run-first. That is what we were discussing.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar