TF is so wrong with a QB who can run the ball?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

It means moving on to the style of QBs that have been successful in the NFL. White, Black, Purple, it doesn't matter. We are looking for pass first QBs who have the ability to scramble and extend plays. Pryor should not even be in the discussion, why you keep bringing him up is beyond me. He is not in the draft, and if he was it would be as a WR not a QB. Much like Brad Smith was. Newton is not the best "NFL" QB in college. Andrew Luck is, bar none. Matt Barkley would be #2. If they were both in the draft they would go before Newton and the debate wouldn't be close. Cam is a RUN FIRST QB. There is no debating this. You keep throwing out stats to argue this, but you fail to point out that he has had more rushing attempts then passing in every game but 5 this year. Can he turn into a successful NFL QB, absolutely, he has the talent. But he is a project. The style of offense he plays in does not force him to drop back, go through his progressions and make the correct read. It asks him to take a snap from shotgun, look for option one, and if it's not open, take off. That is the argument everyone is making that you are missing. Are his numbers good, absolutely, so were Tim Tebow's his sophomore year, but noone was making a case for him as a top 10 pick. He had more passing yards then Newton, more TDs, more rushing TDs, and a passer rating of 172. College numbers do not tell the entire story.

2. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Tim Tebow's sophomore year his rating was 172 with 32 TDs/6 INTs...you want to take him over Andrew Luck as well? You keep throwing out college #s, but have yet to tell anyone how they translate to the NFL. Do you know how long the list is of successful college players who were busts? Heisman Trophy winners? College QB rating does not tell the whole story. And yes, Pryor is an inferior passer to NFL QBs.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I'm not exactly sure what all your remark entails but I think I am inclined to agree. First, I am one of the least informed posters when it comes to the draft and NCAA programs so I need to go out of my way to read up on players this time of year to be able to follow the conversations but I'm all for getting away from "the type of player" Vince Young is. I don't want another version of Vince Young. Give me a Sanchez, Manning, or Rivers kind of guy. I want Fisher to have his pick. I want him to be completely happy with who "his guy" is. I also want to take the excuse of not having "his guy" off the table. It's put up or get out time for Fisher and I'm cool with that. I wouldn't miss Fisher but at the same time I want the club to succeed.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Cam Newton is being down graded because of VY and Tebow IMO. Yes Newton ran the ball quite a bit. Why not? He is 250 pounds and runs a 4.5 40. But in games where the defense took away the run he was up to the task throwing the ball. Like against Bama. He has a huge arm (unlike Tebow), is accurate (67% completion rate) makes good decisions (188 rating) and has a better delivery than Tebow or Young (guys he is most compared to).

So in a nut shell you have a QB who is bigger, faster, has a better arm, is more accurate and with better mechanics than Tebow or Young. If he passes the smart test and interviews well why not take him? Tebow and Young were outstanding college QBs but each has limitations. Both had issues with mechanics, Tebow has a weak arm, Young has a weak mind and poor work ethic. Newton is the best of both of those guys and then some.

5. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I agree with what you said here. He is better then Tebow and VY, and he is being downgraded by his style. Which is why the Titans will not take him. Fisher has one year, win or else, he will not spend that year developing a QB who has to be tought to take snaps under center, drop back, go through progressions and find the open receiver. He is not a fit here. I'm tired of arguing about Cam. We just went through months of it over VY, and now all the VY supporters are calling for Cam or Pryor. Cam I can understand, Pryor makes me sick. Right now I would say that Cam translates to a Daunte Culpepper type more then Jamarcus Russell. I LOVE Cam's attitude, but I have never read/head anything about his work ethic. Unfortunately with talented QBs like him, work ethic is often overlooked in the draft. That is what will make or break him.

6. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I should note on Cam...Fisher's son Trent plays for Auburn, so Fisher will know everything he needs to about Cam's work ethic and character. This could either make him our pick, or it could completely take him off the board. Just thought it was an interesting nugget.

7. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Did you see me comparing Brad Smith to Cam Newton....ANYWHERE???? NO. My only point is about Pryor's arm strength, and it is not vague, it is what I have watched from him over the past 2-3 seasons up here. And before you go on some rant about me not liking "that kind of player", I make the same comment about Scott Tolzien (WI QB mentioned in passing as a lower round project pick) as well. Good college QB, not enough zip to translate it to the pros. That is all I am saying.

Comparing stats in college really is apples and oranges anyway...completely dependent on what type of offense is run at the school, which varies much more than what you see in the NFL. Going by stats alone, all of the Texas Tech grads (Kliff Kingsbury, Graham Harrell, etc.) should be all pros by now...they are not.

8. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Some of you said you wouldn't draft Mallett because of character concerns..

Cam Newton has more character concerns than anyone in the draft..You wanna get rid of VY because he's a head case???? Just wait til Cam Newton gets here..

9. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I have said I don't want Mallett because of character concerns..and I don't want Newton either. They both have major questions, Malletts could push him out of round 1 all together. Someone will reach and take Cam in the top 15, I just hope it isn't the Titans.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Cam Newton stole my laptop.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar