The 2010 Official Reinfeldt is an Idiot Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

No he had a good season two years ago.

Unless 63 Tackles, 4 ints, 1 forced fumble, 1 td isn't good to you.

If you think that isn't a good season, then you've just said Chris Hope has never had a good season.

I have already addressed this.

The "point" is: If the Titans are only going to be bargain hunters in free agency then we better be near the best at it.

We've never had a free agent that had the impact Sharper did for the Saints.

1 Superbowl Win.
    5 Time pro-bowler
    5 time all-pro selection
    Tied for 6th all-time most interceptions in career.
    Regular season record interception return yards.
    Shares an NFL record with Deion Sanders for most games with 50+ interception return yards (9) and owns the NFL record for most games with 75+ interception return yards (6).

He's a lock for the HoF.

I don't know why you feel the need to write this. I've said the same thing. It's obvious.

Read Riverman's posts because players have already been named.

Who's saying make it a habit?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I phrased that poorly. I should have said top franchises rarely bring in high-dollar free agents at all.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Well the titans would do well to rarely bring one in. (Rather than never.) :wink2:

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

It's not terrible, but it isn't good either. He was a FS playing SS, and Hope is a different type of safety altogether. You seem to be hung up on interceptions. There's more to it than that.

Tony Brown? We have a player like that on our team right now.

:lol:

Last DB to get in:

2 Superbowl wins
    11 time probowler
    6 time all-pro selection
    3rd in career interceptions
    1st in career interception return yards
    1st in career interception returns for TD's

DB's don't get in that often. If Sharper hung it up now, it's unlikely he'd get in.

Because you keep saying stupid things such as:

Already did. Unfortunately, he failed to reference a team that has won a Superbowl after making a free agent splash.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

^

Like I said then, you have no right to complain next season regardless of our defense's performance. If we are last in the league, we have the players you want and we didn't overspend.

And you've said you don't expect starters after the 2nd round in the draft, and of course we only have a 1st and no 2nd this year, so maybe we'll get one new starter on d in our draft.

Care to remind me how bad Vince Young sucks again?

6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Are you guys still hung up on this? Come on.

7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Then you have no right to celebrate in our victories. Is that fair? The good news is I'll actually be rooting for my team to win.

I was wrong about Young, and I even made a thread stating that I was wrong and gave you and several others credit for sticking to your guns. So what's the point of bringing this up now? PMD? Post of Mass Destraction?

8. Riverman

If you are pulling me into this, I have referenced several "successful" teams that have brought in early or "first tier" FA's during their successful runs and/or on their way to a SB. I don't know why you keep representing the idea that Alex or my idea is that we should "splash" or "splurge" in Free Agency. That is not at all what I have said. I have said we should at least look at some and not be so reticent to sign somebody early.

Others have suggested that we are similar in our approach to other "successful" teams and/or that those teams rarely, if ever, bring in FA's (or trades) early. I generated "the list" to demonstrate that idea isn't correct. Each of those teams has done it.

The Colts did it with Vinatieri, the Pats had success with Welker and Steelers with Farrior. Needs can be successfully filled early in FA or with "first tier" players and not strap a team down the road- when only one or two players are signed. That is what I'm suggesting- not some Redskin or Raider approach that people insinuate.

9. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

The idea is correct. Vinatieri was a first tier kicker. Really? The Titans have done better than that signing Bironas. Not much of an argument if you ask me.

Farrior was signed eight flippin' years ago. Again, really? In that time span, the Titans have brought in some decent free agents, such as Mawae, Givens, Thornton, and Scott despite also going through a cap purge during that same time period. At the time of Farrior's signing, he had yet to accomplish as much as any of those players.

Welker was definitely not first tier at the time of his signing. He was a nobody.

The Titans have proved that if they like the player, they look at him no matter what "tier" you would put that player on. All the teams you mentioned have built their cores through good drafting and smart coaching. It's those cores that keep them in contention.

10. Riverman

Ummm- yeah he was considered the most clutch kicker in the game at the time he was signed. And the point was never who was better- Bironas vs. Vinatieri. The point was that the Colts (a "successful" team) won a SB after signing him.

Again- the point was that a "successful" team got involved early in FA and won a SB after that with that FA. Actually- they won two.

The point has not ever been that the Titans haven't brought in anybody who turned out good. The point has been that the Titans could benefit by not being so reticent to look at or sign one or two early or "first tier" FA's (or work trades). Especially when there is a glaring need due to poor draft development or injury and we have available cap space.

He was signed on March 4, 2007. 5 yr 18.1 million with 5.5 guaranteed. Pats traded a 2nd and a 7th round pick. Pretty nice deal for a "nobody".

OK- so what keeps the Titans from signing them? And who has been brought in for a look the last few years you would consider "first tier"?

Absolutely agree and I am an advocate of maintaining your core. Why then, have those teams had more success with deep playoff runs and/or SB appearances? Are you suggesting we haven't drafted as well as those teams? Because if so, isn't drafting also at least a shared responsibility of a GM?

It is worth stating again. My opinion is that the Titans can benefit from not being so averse to paying a player his market value. Not many players, but just one, maybe two, if a special circumstance arises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar