The 2010 Official Reinfeldt is an Idiot Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't think that's fair.

If our defense is top10, or if we win some playoff games, make a superbowl, or actually win won...

then straight up, I will be wrong in my opinions about our defense. And it will be fair for me to admit I was wrong about needing upgrades.

But if you think I'm not going to celebrate victories, you are crazier than I thought.

And my original point is this... if you are 100% defending our strategy and you are against signing free agents that are "expensive" then you can't really complain if our defense isn't good next year, because you wouldn't recommend doing anything different.

This is the core disagreement as I understand it.

Some posters/fans, TitanJeff, Psychop1, Gunny, are saying it NEVER makes sense to sign a tier 1 (first,second day expensive signing).

Other posters/fans, Riverman and I, are saying don't automatically exclude a high dollar top tier free agent SOLELY because of contract expense.

At least, that's my understanding from this 35 page thread.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

That is it in a nutshell. I don't understand why it keeps getting distorted. Honestly, it isn't that controversial of an idea that we could do something(s) a bit better.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Really?
    Aside from Hope's 121 tackle, 5 INT season you mean?
    Kyle Vanden Bosch 12.5 sack season or his 12 sack season?

4. Alex1939

For sure not Hope.

I did think about KVB, and I think you argue a case that KVB in 2005 or 2007 was as important as Sharper's season was to the Saints.

I would disagree because, imo, Sharper was the single most important player on the Saints defense last year. KVB was never the single most important player on the Titans defense.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Naw, Hope had a helluva year - as Gunny points out...

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Is there any cake with that frosting?

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't know how many times I have to say it. Though contract expense is a huge factor, you have to always think about how it impacts the franchises ability to keep their own top players, sign other free agents, etc.

It's the total package. It's not just the deal signed.

8. Alex1939

But was even the best on the defense?

Bulluck had 143 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 int, 2 forced fumbles in 2006.

Eh it's subjective. I don't see Hope's season as impressive as Sharper's at any rate.

9. Alex1939

You only had to say it once.

Your reasoning to automatically exclude high dollar free agents is: "Though contract expense is a huge factor, you have to always think about how it impacts the franchises ability to keep their own top players, sign other free agents, etc."

That's what I meant when I said contract expense. You consider contract expense BECAUSE of how it affects keeping your own players and signing other new players. Because of contract expense, you automatically exclude high dollar free agents as considerations for Titans personnel.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Got it the first time you said it TJ. The point has been that room could be made. It is not accurate to suggest that a single (or possibly two) contract(s) could not be constructed to avoid crashing the cap. The point has simply been that the organization would benefit from not being so reticent to look at and possibly sign an "early" or "first tier" free agent at market value. Especially if we have shortfalls from injury or a bad draft that leave an obvious exploitable weakness.

The real question or point I believe you should ask is "where would you make this signing budget neutral?" I think we sit on too much cap space and sign a volume of mediocre players that are cut from other teams TC's. Those players simply aren't as likely to be an impact player as these proven players. (I'm not saying they can't be, just not as likely- so there isn't a need to get caught up in a debate regarding specific examples either way.) The FO could construct their budget year plan to accommodate signing a "first tier" player and for example, not signing so many TC cuts for "depth". There ARE other ways, that is just the first plausible one that came to mind.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar