The 2010 Official Reinfeldt is an Idiot Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Gonna go with incompetent.

Seriously. Samuel was franchised and the incentives to not be franchised again the next season were very very simple to meet. The only way he wouldn't meet them would've been injury.

So it should've been worth considering, do we spend money and lock up cap space on a #2 cb now, or do we wait and spend money and lock up cap space on a top5 cb next season?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That's a great plan if the Titans were the only team interested which they would not have been.

Meanwhile, you have Renaldo Hill your starter in '07 and beyond if the Titans can't outbid the league for Samuel. If you think Harper was bad last season, Hill was worse and did nothing in run support.

Sorry, Gunny.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I know they don't do it the same way you know they do, as you point out, assume. We do know they brought in journeyman Babin, some consider a bust and signed a P/K and Pago Tatofu (?sp).

Bad example TJ. My point is bringing in one upper level player won't break the bank. And that year was dead cap space after the purge for multiple players. Not the same in the least. I'd like to know how much collective cap space we lose each year by guys we wind up cutting within a very short time frame.

Interesting data- thanks for the link. I wouldn't not call the Pats, Cowboys, Eagles and Colts "cheaper", I would say that they manage their cap better. They are running more successful seasons beneath what we've spent. And isn't the point of this thread to assess the quality and performance of our front office? Those organizations have also been active early in FA the past few years and still are below us in cap space? You mean what they did DIDN'T BLOW UP the cap as you have suggested would certainly happen?

Come on TJ. One, or two FA's or trades won't break the bank when the need arises.

Compliments to you on a series of excellent, well written posts TJ. I am flying in between cases right now so I can't digest each of them as thoroughly as I'd like. But I am stalwart in the idea that the Titans can be better at the staffing our personnel by not being so reticent to engage early in the FA/trade market when opportunities arise. It can be done in a budget neutral fashion.

I hope you are right about the CB staffing. I think we missed a golden opportunity with Cro and to a lesser degree Bodden.

4. TitanJeff

I would think it's common sense they get information on any player they think can help them win. Why wouldn't they? They parade guys in just to update their files. Just because they won't be able to draft Suh means they don't have any info on the guy? Give them a little credit.

Which upper-level player you think the Titans missed out on? That's the only way to know whether or not the Titans made the right move on any given player. The devil is in the details.

I used Peppers because he'll cost the Bears $13.3 mil, on average, for the next six season. He's guaranteed $40 mil in the first three. You don't think that impacts the depth of the other positions on the roster in 2011 and beyond? You don't think they'll have to let go of a few players they'd prefer to keep at some point?

If the Titans had done that, we'd been happy campers until he started to decline by 2012 and the team had to give up other key players to offset the cap hit.

Remember complaining that the Titans lost Kearse, Rolle and Mason? Hello.

Would you say the Titans were in the best position in the AFC to go to a Super Bowl in 2008? The front office did about as good a job as could be done putting the players on the field to win. They can't go out there and keep the players from turning over the football.

Last season, there were issues, IMO. But we can't know how much of that is Fisher saying he's got all he needs at CB and P/K return or that the front office didn't pony up for better players. Beyond that, you have to go back to Reese and the purge years to see signs of mismanagement, IMO.

BTW, trading for Carter and keeping all those high-priced vets around as long as the Titans did didn't put a Lombardi in Baptist Sports Park either. If it had worked, Reese would be a visionary and still the Titans GM. It didn't so he was a poor decision-maker and eventually fired. Isn't that how it works?

The Pats and Colts haven't brought in anyone close to a first-tier player. The Cowboys and Eagles have but it's not gotten them a ring.

5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Well, if you are 100% attacking our strategy, you are all for signing one or two expensive free agents in exchange for the quality depth we have, and you can't celebrate when it works, as it has many seasons for us.

No, that's nonsense, and likewise, you are crazy if you think I wouldn't complain about certain players when necessary.

I'm not saying I never have beef with what the FO does or doesn't do. I have, however, learned to take a wait and see approach when it comes to the team they inevitably field. So many armchair general managers (me included) want this player for their team or that player for their team. The fact of the matter is, the FO has done a pretty good job of supplying usable talent. I know some of you think we can't get over the hump, win in the playoffs without some rare talent. I think it's nonsense. I think it's simply a matter of time. Like I said earlier in this thread, it took Polian six seasons with the Colts before they had won a playoff game.

I would be as excited as any of you if we were making huge splashes in free agency every year, or even one year. It's gratifying now. Signing "known" commodities easily restores hope of a Superbowl season. You look at the players body of work, and you instantly start translating past production to your team. Unfortunately, it doesn't usually work out that way. The good news is that it's a two way street. Vanden Bosch, for example. This team works the spectrum opposite of the Joneses and Snyders. It has worked, and I'm at peace with it.

Decent enough assessment. However, I believe when the Titans' FO thinks there is a player available that they really like, need, and believe will play up to the contract said player will receive no matter what "tier" you would put them on, that player will garner plenty of interest from the Titans. Therefore, I don't believe they automatically exclude players just because of their cost. I think many factors are involved when they exclude a player.

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

And he's a kicker. I want to say it again. He's a kicker.

He was still a nobody.

Carter, Thornton, Givens, Mawae, Hope, and Scott all had a body of work preceding them that suggests they were first tier. I could go on, but I probably went too far back with Carter. Thank God we signed him!

7. TitanJeff

I think everyone knows what the other thinks on this topic. You guys can have the final word...

[​IMG]

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

That has nothing to do with the cap. That's the actual payroll. Keith Bulluck was the highest paid player that didn't receive a salary plus a signing bonus.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

This discussion reminds me of our company. We have a product that comes in a 1lb bag. I get calls every once in a while from someone screaming at me saying we should make a 1/2lb bag. "You don't know what you're doing".. "If you do this you'll double your sales!" and so on.. Sounds like a great idea until they learn a few behind the scenes details - one simple example; like it or not a 1/2 bag will still cost them the exact same amount to buy as a 1lb bag. Logistics.
    All of us fancy ourselves as football geniuses, armchair GMs, etc. but I just suspect there may be a few things going on behind the scenes of running a professional football team that we are not privy to..

10. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Our MO is to sit and wait until the crazy buys are over.

I have no issue with it when it comes to not overpaying for a player. Albert wasn't worth that money and Peppers and Dansby were both ridiculous buys which won't return the investment.

Samuel and Clements both went for crazy money and weren't worth the investment.

Kampman was a bargain for the Jags. Exactly the kind of deal we normally go for and an ideal.

I'm baffled why we didn't get involved.Ditto for Dunta Robinson. You state he hasn't done anything lately but he was out for a long time.

He went to the Falcons as a 2nd tier free agent without breaking the bank.

With no 2nd round pick how do you not take a look.

Unless we get a DE,LB or a RB history shows that our 1st round pick wont make a difference this year.

We're basically looking at the same D we had last year and it's a concern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar