The Abraham trade is interesting

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Now that is a right post mate. I agree with you, if that happened, Reese would walk away with the 'Genius of the Millennium' award.

Only thing is, would all the other teams apart from Tennessee be happy

2. I can't see the Titans wanting to pay the contracts for 2 of the top 5 picks...

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Broncos get Cutler for two firsts, Jets get McNair and first round pick. We would need either 22 and 29 or 15 and 29 I think. With either 15 or 22 the Jets could get a RB, either Williams or Maroney I'm sure, thus they have a starting QB in McNair, Pennington waiting and Ramsey as backup. So they address both QB and RB needs with this deal. Then it's up to us to use those two picks and a future 1st (and maybe a mid) to get back into the top 5, so yes, I think the other teams would be happy.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Save $9M by trading Mac, restructure/cut Sirmon (sign Griesen?), cut Pillar...I think it could work, SK. We could save close to $14M that way?We'd have the room, and if we could get QB(Leinart/Young), D'Brickashaw and Jackson/Hodge/Gilles, I think we'd be set. Cut the rest of the loose fodder (Gardner, etc.) and use day two picks to fill holes on special teams, BPA all the way down.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Show of hands: who here just creamed their puffs?

6. I'm not saying we couldn't afford it, if we trade McNair. I'm saying they probably wouldn't want to pay that kind of money.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I hear what you're saying and have no doubt that if true, you are probably right. Naturally that would weigh against the talent they are paying for. I think a lot of teams would pull it off if they could. A chance at a top QB in a draft where it's rich at the top plus the top OT to come out in many a year has to be tempting. I think if they could pull it off, they will go for it in the end. You can't go wrong with one of those players for sure (D'Brick).

8. Haynesworth92

Haynesworth92 Fat Albert

Why was Denver even included in that trade? Did they just move up from 29 to 15 for nothing? I don't get it.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

It all starts with Denver trading its two first round picks (pre-Abraham trade: 22 & 29; post-Abraham trade: 15 & 22; Jets now have #29, as well as #4, because of the deal; Denver got #15 from Atlanta, who traded it for #29 and a 3rd and 4th) to the Jets for pick #4 so they can draft Jay Cutler at #4. Jets are left with #15, 22, 29 and #35. They trade two of the first picks to us for McNair. We then end up with three first round picks, using the last two plus a future to trade up into the top 5 again to go after D'Brick, or barring that, a RB. Or failing that, just have two mid-late first rounders to pick BPAs. Done, and more done.

I know it's a little confusing, took me a while to make the jump into this scenario. But what else you gonna do in the offseason?

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Anyway, if it goes down for the Jets, but no Mac trade, can you imagine them having three first rounders? I wonder when the last time that happened in a draft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar