The biggest failure of off-season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Treadhead6, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Treadhead6

Treadhead6 Peanut Gallery

During the 2008-2009 off-season, there was a golden opportunity presented to the Titans. When the front office passed up this opportunity, it became the biggest failure of the entire off-season. I'm not talking about Albert Haynesworth. His presence on the current team would have no impact on the 0-6 record. What I am talking about is the failure to hire the right person to take over the duties of Defensive Coordinator. It's all water under the bridge now, so what I'm going to say is moot at this point. However, it does highlight the chronic shortcomings of always promoting within the organization - especially when qualified coaches are not available on your own sideline.

The departure of Jim Schwartz came with mixed reactions. However, the timing was perfect. Gregg Williams, the man who was the architect of the dominant Titans' defenses in '99 and '00, was available. Everyone (including Jeff Fisher) can agree that Gregg would have been a huge upgrade over Schwartz (who was only a protege of Gregg Williams). Instead, the team promoted a protege of Jim Schwartz. So instead of bringing back the Master Jedi, the team put the Jedi-in-training in charge. The results have been catastrophic. The collapse of the Titans defense this season has been the catalyst that started the domino destruction of the rest of the team.

In the meantime, Gregg Williams went to New Orleans. Often overlooked in the incredible season the Saints are having this year has been the newly-found dominance of their defense. That was the only piece missing from that team in the past few years. Now they have it. It started with hiring Gregg Williams. The Titans will never get another opportunity to get him back.

It was the biggest failure of the Titans' off-season.

2. tnyou

tnyou Guest

Just watch the " Jeff Fisher " show this week. I expect Fisher to announce some changes on the show.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Williams D at Jax was only average last season and it's pretty easy to defend teams when your offense renders them one-dimensional. I'm going to need more time before I think Williams could have been the savior of the Titans '09 season.

On a related topic: does anyone think Williams taking the Jags DC job rubbed Fisher the wrong way? I bet Fisher took it personal and never seriously considered Williams when Schwartz left.

4. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

The first change I better see out of Jeff is his #$%@#$% Fisherspeak.
    People seem to have gotten weary about hearing the same vague crap week in and week out.

5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

If that's the case, then it makes Fisher seem pretty petty and immature if you ask me.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The man was shocked into reality finally.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

First off, Haynesworth WOULD have had a big impact on us NOT being 0-6 because he creates havoc and gets pressure on the QB - even when doubled or tripled. So getting pressure on the QB doesn't expose our secondary and MAKES our D work. Would we be just as good as last year? Probably not since KVB's play has bottomed out and the OL is creating huge problems. But Haynesworth would help us big time.

But the biggest failure of the Titans off-season was not planning properly for the future of our DL. Last year, even with a great D and pass rush, it was really a 2 man line (KVB, Haynesworth, and Brown) with a lot of replacement parts at DE. Kearse didn't do much in the pass rush department though was surprisingly effective against the run. KVB was injured most of the season and didn't look like the same player. However, we knew it was likely that Haynesworth was gone and not sure the Titans could get the same push up the middle. Would KVB bounce back? Hayes hadn't shown much yet and word was out on whether Ball or Ford could start and be 10 sack/yr players.

That's a ton of uncertainty for the most important unit on the defense. Additionally, Harper was looking slow and old and we didn't have much quality depth at all. In round 1, they had the opportunity to draft perhaps the best pass rusher in the draft in Everett Brown but took Britt. In round 2 we could have still moved up to get Brown or get a top notch CB. We took Marks (is he outplaying Antonio Johnson who we released to make room or Marks?). In the 3rd we traded our 2010 2nd round pick to get another TE (when we already had Scaife, Crumpler, and Stevens). Last time I checked we don't play 3 or 4 TE's. Talent-wise Cook is worth the pick and not a bad choice considering they could choose to let Scaife and or Crumpler go. However, this kind of constant rebuilding of our TE position is the approach that should have been used for our DE, CB and OL.

Clearly Fisher and co. don't listen to me, but history (NFL) proves that if you add on offense and subtract on D, you lose more games! We have the SAME players on offense PLUS Washington and Britt instead of McCareins. Did that make our O better?

As far as Gregg Williams, I would have loved to see him back. For one thing, he's always been pretty good at getting after the QB - even with 'replacement parts.' His scheme is aggressive and attacking. It's the style I prefer. I can understand why Fisher didn't sign him back though. After Williams left, our D changed from a Man cover blitz happy scheme to a cover 2/tampa 2 zone D. We spent Schwartz's entire tenure trying to perfect and had an excellent D last year. Could Williams effectively run that scheme? Would he want to? At this point, I would think Williams would want to run his own scheme and he'd cost a lot to bring in. I think the Titans thought they'd replace Haynesworth with Jason Jones and we'd keep rolling as an excellent D. They were very wrong. But at the time, Williams was coming off a mediocre performance running the Jags D, so what was JF's incentive to hire him at the time?

While no one thought the D would fall apart this fast, the real problem was not stocking it to make sure we had the personel to run it effectively OR having a DC who could makes serious changes on the fly and still get excellent results. We have neither it appears...but perhaps worse is, they've barely tried to fix the D issues. Anyone who IS the problem needs to sit and that starts with KVB. Even Kearse has more pressures that KVB. On obvious passing downs we need to see a steady dose of Brown, JJ, Vickerson, Ford, Hayes and Kearse. Brown even looked good on a few plays at DE against the Colts!

Perhaps another collosal failure is that there is ZERO accountability. If a guy keeps playing at a poor level, you can't keep starting him. If a guy keeps making mistakes, you can't play him. Lavelle Hawkins was thought to be a serious possibility as a 3rd wr in the offseason, but he keeps making mistakes so he doesn't play. Our D and current offensive starters are currently not held to this standard.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Hey Gut,
    You write too much. Shorten those posts up, I'd like to know what your saying but I don't bother because the chapters you write turn me away.

9. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Strattera, Adderall, Daytrana, Ritalin, and Concerta are all very effective medications that help out ADD and ADHD people who have the attention span of a gnat.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. SifuSoul

SifuSoul Camp Fodder

Meh. D-line was fine last year without Al and KVB. Can't be terribly upset that they thought the same players with an entire off-season to gel as a unit would be ok. We all did.

The only games we lost last year were those where the O didn't score enough points. The D generally did its job (Jets game aside, the only one that really comes to mind). Focusing the draft on the offense doesn't bother me,

We don't have the personnel to run a Williams-style Defense, and most of us were thinking super-bowl this year. Harper is almost exclusively a cover-2 corner. Why change personnel to a system your people can't run? Jason Jones is the only D-lineman we have that's worth anything. Also, I could have sworn A. Johnson was released the off-season before last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar