The Crooked NCAA....

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Ubiq, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I do realize the loophole. But there is a loophole on the other side of that argument too. Let's take this situation. Hypothetically, what if Miss St knew Cam was probably going to Auburn, and then all of a sudden someone asks Miss St for money on Cam's behalf. Should he then be suspended? What if that person had Miss State connections? Could it not be possible that there are vindictive schools and boosters out there who would pull something like that just to make a player ineligible? Again, hypothetically, what if Cam really didn't know his dad was asking for money? SHould his future be put in jeopardy because of his father's actions?

2. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

I'm not really following. So you're saying MSU would falsely tie themselves to a pay-for-play scandal just to get back at a kid for switching his commitment? Not real sure that's good for business.

Cam's dad is directly connected to Cam. Pimping him out should absolutely put him jeopardy. You have to draw the line somewhere. Again, claiming ignorance allows every handler of a highly recruited kid to ask for money and get away with it.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

But it doesn't have to be MSU (or any school), it can be a booster of said school so the school isn't directly involved. I absolutely think there are boosters out there who would go out of their way to make a player ineligible for another school if they felt betrayed by that player.

Yeah, Cam's dad is connected to Cam, but that doesn't mean Cam knew what he was doing (Im speaking hypothetically). Should a person be punished for the actions of someone, even if they were not aware of those actions? And what about coaches, uncles, cousins etc? Where does it stop? If an AAU coach takes money from a school or asks for money if they can influence the kid to go to that school, should a player also be ineligible?

The fact of the matter is, is that the NCAA rules are so outdated and there is way to much money in college sports now for them to think that players aren;t going to get paid to some degree. The NCAA just needs to adapt.

4. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

:sad2: This is my last post ITT...

Do you follow college football at all? Boosters act on behalf of the school...so an MSU booster might as well be the head coach when it comes to these kinds of things. There is absolutely no booster that is going to claim they were asked for money just to get back at a kid. It could happen in some fantasy land...but it won't. Pay-for-play isn't something that a booster will falsely claim...there is way too much at stake. For example, SMU itself did nothing wrong in the 80s...it was the boosters....but the program still got hit with the death penalty.

IF SOMEONE CLOSE TO A KID'S RECRUITMENT ASKS FOR MONEY ON THE KID'S BEHALF THEN SAID KID IS INELIGIBLE. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THE KID KNEW ABOUT IT OR NOT...THAT THEORY IS JUST DOWN RIGHT STUPID. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ARGUMENT. I DON'T SEE WHY THIS IS SO DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO COMPREHEND. IF THEY SURROUND THEMSELVES WITH THESE KINDS OF PEOPLE THEN THEY PAY THE CONSEQUENCES.

Who cares if some rogue idiot 3rd cousin asks for money? Odds are they aren't close enough to the kid's recruitment for the University to take them seriously anyway...they'll be laughed at and hung up on.

The NCAA has kept Cam eligible because he's bringing in the money for them. It's as simple as that.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

"Dad, how'd you afford this 200,000 dollar house?"

"Don't worry about that son. Oh, I meant to tell you... you're going to Auburn, ok?"

"But I was really thinking about-"

"No. NO NO. It's Auburn. Auburn, Cam. Ok? Auburn."

"Ohhhhhhhhhh I get it!"

Anyone that thinks Cam Newton had no idea what was going on is an idiot or just in pure denial.

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

The boosters at SMU actually paid players, and the school administrators at least had an idea of what was going on, even if they didn't necessarily cause it to happen. Completely different scenario than a kid asking for money from a school, and the school nor a booster actually giving the money.

And what have I noted is difficult for me to comprehend and why are you taking such a combative tone at this point? I understand your points, I just don't completely agree with you. Is that not allowed? The NCAA is completely out dated and their rules are draconian, which is why I dont agree with all them. I am sorry that I am entitled to my own views and forgive me if I dont look at your points as some sort of end all be all of a discussion. But obviously this is going no where, so just continue to pat yourself on the back as some sort of authority figure and excuse me for daring to raise other points and issues. I didn't realize I need to bend over an kiss your to be able to have a discussion with you, but forgive me if Ill pass on doing that. [/I]

7. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

I just don't see how any logical person can think the NCAA can allow such a gaping loophole. I mean, you're trying to say that a handler, parent, or sibling can ask for as much money as they'd like for a player's services...and get away with it...under one condition: the player doesn't know about it.

If that's the case, then I'm starting a new business tomorrow. I'll handle these kid's recruitments, pimp them out, not tell them about it, and will get filthy rich. 100% legal. Won't even be taxed on it.

I'm done this time....I think.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Thing is, Reggie Bush's situation was treated totally different where they treated the family as the athlete. Not so in Newton's case?

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

THe investigation for Newton is not over, the NCAA just deemed that at this point he is still eligible, that does not mean he won't eventually face the same fate as Bush. Again, the Bush investigation ended 5 years after he left USC, you can't then expect the Newton investigation to be wrapped up right away, especially when at this point there is no concrete evidence of anything other than his dad asking for money.

Also, Bush also received benefits such as an off campus apt, down payment for a car, trip to Vegas etc. The Bush situation wasn't just about his family, he also directly received benefits. At this point, there is no evidence the Newton's got anything, and I haven't heard of Cam getting any of the other perks that Bush received. Though again, the Bush investigation took almost 5 years, so more stuff could certainly come out regarding Cam and if money was exchanged that could be uncovered, but as of right now, it hasn't been uncovered.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Because the NCAA already profited everything they could from Bush since he already left college. There's still millions to be made in January from Newton.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar