The facts about the Titans in Free Agency - a 3-year look

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I can't believe the number of threads of people whining about the Titans not being active in Free Agency (which doesn't actually start until 27 Feb) and saying it will be just like the last few years when we don't sign anyone.

Well, let's look back at the Titans roster and our performance in Free Agency over the past 3 years.

From our 2008 roster, the following players were acquired through Free Agency in the past 3 years:

Tier 1 (FAs that played at or near Pro Bowl level) - Chris Hope, Jake Scott, David Thornton, Kevin Mawae

Tier 2 (FAs that won starting jobs on the 2008 Titans)- Chris Carr, Jevon Kearse, Alge Crumpler, Kerry Collins, Nick Harper, Tony Brown, Justin Gage

Tier 3 (FAs that primarily contribute on Special Teams or as a backup) - Ryan Fowler, Josh Stamer, Dave Ball, Kevin Vickerson, Eric King

Over 1/3 of our active roster have been free agent signings in the last 3 years. The bottom line is the Titans Front Office has done an excellent job over the last 3 years at identifying guys in Free Agency that can contribute in the Titans system.

For info:

Free agents that were brought in and failed to perform over the same period:
    Justin McCareins, David Givens, Eric Moulds, Corey Simon, Kelly Herndon,

Free Agents that the Titans have cut or lost, over the same period (how many of these guys would be an upgrade that you would insist on bringing back?):
    Drew Bennett, Antwan Odom, Travis LaBoy, Jacob Bell, Bobby Wade,
    Travis Henry, Randy Starks, Calvin Lowry, Ben Troupe, Chris Brown

• High Five High Five x 22
  2. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Hmmm. Good post.

I have all the faith in our FO. I have been in suspicion of some things but all in all they have been making the right moves because we have a really good team with cap space. They seem to get the most out of players. Some were scrubs but they all have a role here.

I just really hope we can get Big Albert back.:cry:

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

carpy. I just don't see it that way my friend.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Superbowl wins over the last 3 seasons:

Zero.

5. Carpy

And if we had only kept Travis Henry, Drew Bennett, Ben Troupe and Jacob Bell we certainly would have won the Super Bowl by now, right?

3 seasons ago we had the #3 pick in the draft. That wasn't because we asked for it. It was because we sucked. The year before we had the #5 pick because we sucked then too.

This team was destroyed by the Salary Cap and had to be re-built from scratch.

6. Alex1939

Please don't jump to conclusions about my opinions. I've never said anything like what you suggest above.

Although I admit I had my concerns about losing Bell and signing Scott last offseason, but that did work out good.

And now we have near the most cap space in the league. Is it so much to ask to do something with it, rather than re-sign Jmac at the last minute?

7. Carpy

So, who should we have signed instead?

The biggest name free agent receivers that were on the market last season were Berrian, Stallworth, DJ Hackett, Bryant Johnson and Drew Carter. NONE OF THEM even caught 50 passes this season. And the only one who went to a team that made the playoffs was Hackett (Panthers), where he was invisible.

Remember we used our cap space last season to give extensions to Stewart, Roos and Finnegan. Surely you agree that is a good use of our money?

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. Alex1939

Lorenzo Neal :lol:

Yes.

9. Alex1939

Thought of another scenario...

Jared Allen. What if we had signed him instead of Kearse?

We would still be $20 million or so under that cap going into this offseason, which, if we wanted, would've been enough to re-sign AH, maybe Collins, Scaife, and/or Bironas.. and our draft selections.

Now does Jared Allen help us get to the superbowl? I dunno. Did I want him last offseason, not really because of his suspension risks. I'm sure the Titans felt the same way.

But it was a possible scenario where we add one of the best at a position and use our cap money.

10. Carpy

You know the Vikings traded a first round pick, 2 third round picks and a swap of 6th round picks to the Chiefs to get Jared Allen right?

And then they had to give Allen a huge new contract making him the highest paid defensive player in the league.

He wasn't a free agent.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar