The first of many articles hammering Manning

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Let's get one thing Straight, Bettis let the Colts back into the game with his fumble which should have taken them up by 10.

And they can blame Harper's wife all they want, he turned the wrong way on Big Ben.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I was wondering when someone would ask that :ha:

apparently the lighting is different
    one is probably in daylight
    while the other under artificial lights

ok,... i went and looked at both raw pics

Matt is in daylight
    Reggie is just at dusk with the lights on
    --(I did brighten Reggie a little but only so you could (kinda) see his face)
    if you look closely at Reggie's helmet you can see 3 lights and 'skyglow' - near the back of his helmet at the logo you can see the sunsetting

take different colored articles of clothing and look at them under sunlight and artificial / flourescent lighting and you'll see a big difference 9 times out of 10

3. He's the proverbial Burning Bush... :flame:

4. I didn't say his stats weren't decent. I said he didn't play a decent game. Not compared to what he normally does . He struggled for most of the game and rarely was able to string together a drive. And in clutch time, he threw a game deciding INT (after which the refs promptly gave him the world's biggest mulligan).

Manning calls the plays. Why didn't he audible into better protection calls? Why didn't he call more short drops? Why didn't he get Edge more carries (he did average 4.3 YPC) to negate the blitz?

If Manning can get so much credit for being the QB as well as the OC on the field when things are going well, then he damned well deserves the blame when they go so badly...

That wouldn't have happened if the Colts offense didn't 3-and-out on 3 of their first 4 posessions and punt on all 4. But I guess it's not Peyton's fault their offense didn't do anything. Hey, wait...

And I stand by that. McNair was never the focus of the Titans offense in 1999. He never had any big passing numbers. And Fisher went ultraconservative against the dominant Buffalo D. And still, unlike Manning, McNair still managed some big, game changing plays.

Again, I'm not talking stats. I'm talking about overall play.

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Jeff, the articles you posted have some great digs! I especially liked article #2 which points out ..."his feet were happy..." :ha:

Soxcat has a good point when he writes "The talking heads can say all they want about Manning. After all they are the ones that make him God when he is winning games and the goat when they lose." It seemed like the heads were convinced that Manning had grown as a leader, and his only Kryptonite was Tom Brady. I honestly can't put all the blame for the loss on Manning, but I think he's finally been exposed for what he is: a bona fide choker, with or without the Pats. When he complains about protection, he admits that he's a one-trick pony: a pocket passer and little else.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why are manning standards so high?

You guys don't have those same high standards for anyone else. Why is it that peyton manning has to verify himself by winning it all? Steve mcnair won't ever win a super bowl should we have hundreds of posts bashing him? How many super bowls did rich gannon win? Trent green? Daunte culpepper? Mcnabb?

There are only 4 active QBs with a super bowl ring. Brad johnson, brett favre, brady and warner. Three of those guys are on their last leg. If only 4 QBs have won the super bowl that means that almost thirty starting QBs out there have not. So why is manning so special? Go look at john elway's super bowl stats in his first three super bowls. He sucked!

Do you guys hate manning because he is so good? You pathetic lives are filled with such failures that you don't like a guy who is that good at something? You have low self esteem and your self loathing somehow gets a break by watching someone good fall short? Why don't you losers use that energy to bash this football team of ours and it's pathetic performance this year. That would be more contsructive and maybe more therapeutic.

7. Haynesworth92

Haynesworth92 Fat Albert

Haha that was bothering me for a while. I thought it might be a different stye jersey or something. But you are right lighting does make a huge difference.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

[​IMG]

You can guess who is driving the Cop car. :sad2:

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A team first philosophy?

The team-first philosophy.
    ---------------

Yeah those colts have really had trouble winning games the past 3 seasons. 12-4 in 2003, 12-4 in 2004 and 14-2 in 2005. Too bad they don't know how to win football games. Manning has won 66% of his games since his rookie year, missed the playoffs once in the last 7 seasons and won 78% of his games the last 3 years. That's including playoffs! I think whatever philosophy the colts are practicing is working.

What if manning lead his team to just 4 winning seasons out of 11? We would say he sucks? Well jeff fisher has coached the oilers/titans to just 4 winning seasons out of 11 and some of you think he is hall of fame material. I guess mediocrity is more appealing to some.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

And if McNair had been the Colt's QB in that game the Colt's would have been lucky to score a single point. Was Pittsburg a "dominant" defense Sunday? Did the Colts have the option of going "ultraconservative"?
    You put the weight of the world on Manning and even when he almost brings his team back with a 290 yard passing day against unbelievable pressure all game and you say he wasn't decent. McNair hands the ball off all game and throws 5 yard passes, doesn't even break the 100 yard mark and yet because he got lucky and had a miracle play to win the game he is now decent. Sorry, if we don't get that miracle play and win that game McNair's playoff record is crap. Remember how McNair chocked and lost the next year. Good thing for McNair the best pass of the game against the Bills was thrown by Wycheck.

Get another thing straight. The Steelers blew through the Colt's OL on the Colt's series before the Bettis fumble giving Manning absolutely no chance to move the Colt's down field.

As far as I'm concerned if everyone wants to blame Manning totally for the loss people are showing their complete lack of football knowledge and understanding. No other QB in the game would have done better under the circumstances. As I said before, if the Colts some how came back to tie and later win that game (and they were only a FG away from OT) that game would have gone down in history as a playoff classic and Manning would have been the hero. For years fans would have been talking about how Manning's leadership took over on 4th down as he insisted on going for the first down instead of punting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar