The Fullback Position Could Really Be Utilized Much Better And Q. Johnson Cut Creates Roster Spot

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

I think if we are going to use the fullback position utilize it the right way or don't bother wasting a roster spot.We could use the fullback like we did back in the days when we had Lorenzo Neal.Neal had a huge part in helping Eddie George gain yardage and was an incredible blocker as well.After Neal left the Titans there was a drop in Eddie George's average and in fact he only lasted a couple more seasons before being let go.

We had Holcombe,Fleming and Hall and say what you will Hall did good up until his last season.I've always thought if we got a fullback like Vontae Leach he would do some good things from that spot.In my opinion i think a really good fullback could not only block for C.J. but we could use one for busting out short yardage gains when we need a couple to keep drives going.It looks like Shonn Greene will be filling a similar role in the RB spot.

When its all said and done i do think we could do without Quinn Johnson especially his wasting a roster spot and after all it does look like Shonn Greene would be doing a lot of things anyway for that spot.Its also been said that Stephens might be used which is really a good idea he has the size.If we did potentially cut Q. johnson it could create a valuable roster spot which could be used for a position where we really need a player.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

FB's are a thing of the past and IDK why, a good lead blocker can make an average RB look great. CJ thrives when he has a good FB. Munch says we wont see a FB a lot but this would be a mistake.

3. xhrr

xhrr Starter

I don't understand the re-signing of Quinn if it is going to a position used few and far between. Just put Stevens or Walker there in a pinch from time to time and use Johnson's spot and salary some where else.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Walker is the best FB we have on our roster and quite possibly the worst pass catching TE and thats saying something considering we have a DE as TE.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Quinn was re signed so I'm not sure what Munch is planning.
    But the problem with having a FB far out weighs the advantages of not having one. Usually FBs are not good in the passing game, are not good at running the ball and thus have limited utility. Secondly, when the FB is in the backfield the LBs just key on the FB and they know right were the RB is going. If you have a FB the defense basically just adds another guy to the box and you really gain nothing on offense because you have another guy to block.

It makes way more sense to either have another WR the defense has to pull a guy out of the box to guard or another TE that can both block and catch the ball. CJ's best formation is going to be with two TEs that can block and catch as double threats. With the blocking balanced on both sides of the LOS the defense can't key a side. If both TEs in the game can catch the defense has to be on guard for that.

Cook basically was such a poor blocker he never created an illusion the team could run to his side. A guy like Walker is going to be our best blocking threat as well as a guy who can get down field. That was the point of signing him. Walker can also move to the slot or line up in the back field as a traditional FB. WHy we need QUinn is beyond me. Instead we should consider signing or drafting another H-Back/TE.

6. TitansWillWin2

It's called a weak side run or a misdirection! The FB goes one way and the HB goes the other.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

No reason keep a FB at this point. With Stevens and walker who do TE and FB.... No reason for him. The only scenario where it would be an issue is if we went 2 TE and a FB.. in which case, Thompson could be the other TE.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

So you're saying todays fullbacks are inefficient?

9. TitansWillWin2

Could you imagine the mismatches the Pats would create if they had CJ?!?!

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Yeah, if he could catch, he would be a real threat in the passing game as well.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar