The Future and beyond

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Let's face it, this season is gone so it's time to look to the future.

Coaching: Unless Fisher pulls off something amazing, I think he's done (and he probably should be). He seems to have lost the team, he's done stupid things (Manning jersey) and now he's receiving heat from outside sources (Sally Reese for one).

With Fisher gone, the coaching staff needs a major overhaul.
    Mike Heimerdinger
    needs to go, bringing him back was one of the major mistakes this franchise has made in the past 3 years.
    Chuck Cecil
    , while I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt early on, seems to have lost the defense and needs to go.
    Alan Lowry is only as good as his personnel. That may be a roster thing, but the contrast from last year to this year is pretty big and the difference in that is Chris Carr vs. Mark Jones.
    As for the positional coaches, I think the only ones we keep are Jim Washburn (Defensive Line), Mike Munchak (Offensive Line), Dave McGinnis (Linebackers/Assistant Head Coach) and Ernest Byner (Running Backs). I think John Zernhelt (Tight Ends) might also be safe.

If we were to promote from within, I would want to see McGinnis as defensive co-ordinator and that would be about it.

I think we need fresh blood in the franchise, I don't want to see anyone come back (which means no Gregg Williams). It was Fisher's biggest flaw. He loved "his" guys. It's why Heimerdinger was rehired and why guys like LaMont Thompson, Eddie George, Reynaldo Hill played longer then they should have or were being outplayed. It's why Donnie Nickey still has a job.

Offense:
    The Offense is a mess...as usual. The Wide Receivers couldn't catch a cold (as usual) and our Quarterback situation is horrid.

Strengths:
    The teams strengths are the Running Game and Offensive Line.
    Next year the O-Line should remain intact with Kevin Mawae most likely done. That means LeRoy Harris will be the front runner, and I am comfortable with him being the center.

Weaknesses:
    The weaknesses are Quarterbacks and Wide Receivers.
    For some reason drops in Tennessee are common and really the only player we've ever had that was good and consistent was Derrick Mason.
    Quarterbacks is in an even worse situations. Kerry Collins is done. He needs to be benched and he will probably retire (he is also a Fisher guy).
    Vince Young needs to play to see where the future lays in this position. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain by playing Young in meaningful games and see whether he has it to lead this team or for the team to move on.

Offense Roster (status):

Quarterbacks:
    Vince Young (Questionable) -
    Young needs to play to see where he is at and whether he has a future with the team. With the season lost there is no more opportune time.
    Kerry Collins (Gone: Released/Retired) - He needs to be bench now. He actually needed to be benched two weeks ago. While not everything has been his fault (drops), he has been the Collins known at Carolina/New York/Oakland.

Running Backs:
    Chris Johnson (Safe) -
    Chris Johnson has been the only real bright spot in a dismal year thus far. Johnson is second in the league in rushing yards and second in yards per carry. While he can be hit and miss, he is a definite keeper.
    LenDale White (Free Agent) - White slimmed down in the off-season and actually looks good and his reward is....practically being benched. Why? Who knows and Fisher is a USC guy. White is a Free Agent at the end of the season and I think it will be tough to keep him, but I think he is essential for a smooth transition for the new coach/co-ordinator.
    Javon Ringer (Safe) - Rookie will be needed in case LenDale White doesn't resign. Even if White does resign, he is safe (and we might finally be free of drafting a Running Back in the next draft).
    Ahmard Hall (Safe) - One of the best Fullbacks in the league (even if they are rare). He's safe.

Wide Receivers:
    Nate Washington (Safe) -
    Signed in the off-season from Pittsburgh, Washington has been decent with a case of the dropsies. He is probably better off as a #2.
    Justin Gage (Gone) - I believe he is a free agent (if not, change to Questionable), Gage has been serviceable and an over-achiever but he is paid too much to be a #3 which is what he will be.
    Kenny Britt (Safe) -
    Not only is he safe because he is a rookie but he has been the best Receiver this year leading the team in catches and yards and he only has room to grow (Rod Smith for WR Coach?)
    Mark Jones (Gone) - Please, just go.
    LaVelle Hawkins (Questionable) - Needs more game time. Does he not play because he isn't getting the playbook or because we all know how Fisher doesn't play the younger guys?

Tight Ends:
    Bo Scaife (Probably gone) -
    Been a good Tight End for the team and is a Free Agent, can't see him wanting to stay and we have his replacement waiting.
    Jared Cook (Safe) - The man child is the future of the position and has the potential to be a top 3 Tight End in the league.
    Alge Crumpler (Gone) - He's done. Serviceable (if not costly at inopportune moments) but there is no room for him and Stevens can do his job.
    Craig Stevens (Probably safe) - Stevens is a blocking Tight End and can do what Crumpler does. He could be good enough as a #2 for next season.

Offensive Line:
    Michael Roos (Safe) -
    One of the best in the league.
    David Stewart (Safe) - Also one of the best in the league.
    Jake Scott (Safe) - Serviceable as a starter. Can't see him going anywhere.
    Eugene Amano (Safe) - Much like Scott, he is serviceable without being noticeable.
    Kevin Mawae (Gone/Retired) - I think Mawae retires now. Moves onto NFLPA role.
    Leroy Harris (Safe) - Should be the new Centre next season.
    Mike Otto (Probable) - Never seen him play, would need to be assessed during pre-season.
    Troy Kropog (Probable) - As above, needs to be assessed.

Defense:
    The defense regressed from last season where it has gone from one of the best to one of the worst (which has happened before under Fisher).
    Chuck Cecil has to go with the new Head Coach.

Strengths:
    There doesn't seem to be any strengths, the defense is in shambles. The Run Defense has been solid.

Weaknesses:
    I don't have enough time to go through each weakness. I'll just categorise it:
    Pass Defense, Pass Rush, Depth.

Defense Roster (status)

Defensive Line:
    Jevon Kearse (Gone) -
    The (former) Freak doesn't have it, he's been ok but he is out of contract (I think) and he was a healthy scratch. He doesn't seem to want to be here anyway.
    Kyle Vanden Bosch (Unlikely) - There is talk the team is talking contract extension but I don't think it is worth it. He is a high motor guy and been great for Tennessee during his time, but this season has been below standards and last season he only had 4.5 sacks. Perhaps his injury has affected him? I think it is time to let go.
    William Hayes (Safe) - Washburn has worked with him and he has been fairly decent for a guy no one knew. He may not make it as a starter.
    Dave Ball (Unlikely) - He has disappeared and probably will be done as a Titan.
    Jacob Ford (Safe) - He's been good for the Titans as a pass rusher. He should be safe as a situational pass rusher.
    Tony Brown (Safe) - Needs to curb his off-side penalties but should be safe (if not a Free Agent)
    Jovan Haye (Safe) - Signed last season, has been good enough.
    Jason Jones (Safe) - Leading the team in Sacks, will continue to improve.
    Kevin Vickerson (Questionable) - Job will be on the line during the next season.
    Sen'Derrick Marks (Safe) - Second round pick, needs reps in game to evaluate his talent.

Linebackers:
    Keith Bulluck (Questionable) -
    Biggest question mark. Bulluck's production has declined, he doesn't seem happy at the moment and he has mentioned before this would probably be his last season in Tennessee. Bulluck has been the heart of the defense for a long time and should stay a Titan but it is a matter of whether it is in the teams best interests to keep him.
    David Thornton (Safe) - Best Linebacker on the team.
    Stephen Tulloch (Safe) - Finally getting to start over Ryan Fowler, he has been good with moment of lapses in judgement. Can only improve.
    Gerald McRath (Probable) -
    Rookie this year who could replace Bulluck if he leaves. Will do well to learn from Bulluck and Thornton.
    Stanford Keglar (Probable) - Could be Bulluck's replacement if he leaves. Has potential.
    Colin Allred (Unlikely) - Depth as a Linebacker, will probably be gone.
    Ken Amato (Probably) - Strictly a long snapper, should be safe.

Defensive Backs:

Cortland Finnegan (Safe) -
    Best Corner on the team
    Nick Harper (Gone) - Believe he is out of contact, but regardless he was serviceable early on but has gotten worse and worse and now injury concerns.
    Ryan Mouton (Safe) - Rookie thrown into the fire, starting experience can only help.
    Jason McCourty (Safe) - As above.
    Cary Williams (Unlikely) - Cut from the team and re-added. Had a good run for a 7th round pick but most likely will not be cut. Could be re-evaluated during the off-season.
    Rod Hood (Unlikely) - Signed a few weeks ago as depth, probably won't stick around. Depends how he does during the season.
    Chris Hope (Safe (fa?)) - Don't know if he is a Free Agent at the end of the season but he is safe.
    Michael Griffin (Safe) - Regressed and out of position. Needs to improve but will start next season.
    Donnie Nickey (Unlikely) - Those pictures of Fisher can't be used on a new coach.
    Kevin Kaesviharn (Unlikely) - Signed as depth, will most likely be gone.
    Vincent Fuller (Safe) - One of the under-rated players on the team. Starting Nickelback, will stay and should be the starting NB again.

What to do during the off-season:

Get a new coach:
    Fisher is done. Sign someone with no previous ties to the Team and let him take control of the team and implement his own style of football. Fisherball is done.

Get a Quarterback: Right now, we don't have a future. If Vince Young can get it done, great. If not, we need to either draft a Quarterback or trade/sign one (Kevin Kolb?)

Get a Cornerback: It does depend on the progress of Mouton and McCourty, Nick Harper should be gone, but we need to either draft or sign a starting Cornerback.

Get Defensive Line help: Vanden Bosch is not what he was, Kearse will be gone. Ford and Hayes are learning and both are not full time starters. Julius Peppers isn't happy...

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Gage isn't a Free Agent.

Julius Peppers, no. Too much money and he isn't the youngiest guy either. Julius Peppers is unhappy because he wants to play in a 3-4 defense which Panthers are not either are the Titans therefore he'd still be unhappy. So no.

All for trading for a young QB w/ potential, Henne, Kolb, etc.

My favorite part of this: Harris is our new centre... gotta love candians!

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I wasn't 100% on that.

Great DEs aren't cheap.

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Great DEs that aren't going to be happy aren't worth it.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Gunny you amaze me.

For a guy who has had too make it a point to learn about American football you know a lot. You remind me of Titanium in that you both amaze me with how much you know about football. NOT that I am one too judge, but I know good analysis when I see/read/hear it.

I agree almost point by point with you, I would not have been as kind as you in a number of places though - lol

I think Lowery and Fisher are tied at the hip. If there is a HC change then I don't suspect OC/DC or STC to make it with new regieme.

Agree totally about QB situation. Gotta play VY no matter how painful. At least that way VY will have no complaints when he is holding a clipboard somewhere for the next 5 years. I do believe that his career will follow Randall Cunninghams progression. By the time he made it too Minnesota he was a good QB - too bad he was 35 when he figured out the NFL game.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

My only dissagreement with this post is about our TE situation. Alge Crumpler MUST be kept. He has been reliable all year long, can break tackles and get YAC, and is mentoring Jared Cook. Not to mention he want's to be used as a blocking TE, which he is great at. Craig is good and all but alge brings more to the table. I would rather keep alge and let bo go. Keep alge and stevens and let bo go. Sorry but Bo is not doing anything special. Alge can basically be used for blocking but we all know alge has been one of the best TE's in the league when he was younger. He knows those days are done. But unlike Kerry Collins he is not trying to do too much. I say keep him until he retires as a blocking te and let him help out jared cook. Oh and you forgot Punter. Craig is done and this guy we have now is just plain horrible. We need a punter. Craig said he will stick around to help the guys which is great. Maybe he can help teach him a knuckleball. But that does need to be addressed. Other than that, great post.

7. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

how about a coach that will blitz! Name me an nfl defense that only brings 4 80 percent of the time and gets to the qb. What point are cover corners that play same zone 80 percent of the time. Defense is bad because the scheme is terrible, fisher can say we never blitzed but turn on the tape of the pittsburgh game last year! We didnt zone 80 percent of the time and no albert or KVB

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

right about Hentrich

wrong about AC. He is a fumble machine

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Blitzing is not about Sacks, it is about making the QB get rid of the ball at the 2.2 second mark instead of 4.4

Make the QB uncomfortable and disrupt the O's gameplan. Do not have too create a Sack too do that. Bring an extra guy, or 2. Have the CBs jam and disrupt the WRs patterns. Yes sometimes the D will get exposed - when blocking holds up and Ss lose contain - BUT THIS D is getting lite up on a play 2 play basis already. It is quite embrassing

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I forgot to add special teams, which was pretty obvious. Hentrich is done. Bironas stays. We need a return guy and Mark Jones isn't it (at this stage).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar