The great Raven helmet debate

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Help settle a bet.. I am unable to convince a friend that The Ravens had a different helmet graphic when they moved to Baltimore. I cannot find a pic online to prove it. Anyone else recall this or am I losing it?

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

yeah they used to have a different logo, but got sued because it was a ripoff of someone else's logo.
    From Wikipedia
    The team's first helmet logo, used from 1996 through 1998, featured raven wings outspread from a shield displaying a letter B framed by the word Ravens overhead and a heraldic cross underneath. The US Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a jury verdict that the logo infringed on a copyright retained by Frederick E. Bouchat, an amateur artist and security guard in Maryland.

Bouchat had submitted his design to the Maryland Stadium Authority by fax after learning that Baltimore was to acquire an NFL team. He was not credited for the design when the logo was announced. Bouchat sued the team, claiming to be the designer of the emblem; representatives of the team asserted that the image had been designed independently. The court ruled in favor of Bouchat, noting that team owner Modell had access to Bouchat's work. Bouchat's fax had gone to John Moag, the Maryland Stadium Authority chairman, whose office was located in the same building as Modell's.[3] Bouchat ultimately was awarded no monetary compensation, though, in the damages phase of the case.[4]

The Baltimore Sun ran a poll showing three designs for helmet logos. Fans participating in the poll expressed a preference for a raven's head in profile over other designs. Art Modell announced that he would honor this preference but still wanted a letter B to appear somewhere in the design. The new Ravens logo featured a raven's head in profile with the letter superimposed. The secondary logo is a shield that honors Baltimore's history of heraldry. Alternating Calvert and Baltimore emblems (seen also in the flag of Maryland and the flag of Baltimore) are interlocked with stylized letters B and R.

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

4. maximus

maximus Starter

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

I think I remember that logo now...It's still gay though just because it's Baltimore.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

my eyes!

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Brings to mind the Jags, who had a different logo I believe prior to actually playing any games. Jaguar car company said it was too similar to their logo so they changed it. I remember seeing swag with that original logo for A few months in Sports Authority etc.
    Anyone recall this?

8. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

That's correct. The helmet would have looked like this:

[​IMG]

10. maximus

maximus Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar