The Haynesworth plan: Play both QBs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

Albert Haynesworth's not the first person to think it. But he is the one Titan who said it out loud: Once Vince Young is healthy, Haynesworth would like to see the Titans use both their quarterbacks.

"If I was going to put my head-coaching hat on, I would run, honestly, a two-quarterback system with Vince and Kerry [Collins]," he said. "Kerry is a pure passer, and Vince can create things with his legs and on the go. If it was me, I know it would be hard for them to get in sync, but I would do a two-quarterback system."

"I know this is not college, but you look at some of the college teams that have done it and they've done it all right. Vince still is young, 22, 23, and you've got Kerry, who's seen a whole lot of stuff and he can get the ball in there. You get down to crunch time when you need to throw the ball, I'd put Kerry in. You utilize both of them. You've got money in both, why not use them both?"

Young is actually 25.

I don't think Jeff Fisher would ever be so extreme. And I think he might send someone to Haynesworth's locker to dispose of that head-coaching hat.

But early in on Young's rookie season when Collins was starting, the Titans did put Young in for select series.

Once his knee is completely healed and his head is straight, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to work him back in with a similar plan that would force defenses to prepare for both of the quarterbacks and could spark the offense with an occasional changeup.

The downside, of course, would be the potential to create controversy. I think Fisher's desire to avoid that would probably trump the wildcard element unless Collins is having a bad stretch.

More...

2. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

dumb idea.
    Haynesworth should stick to doing what he does best. Smashing QBs.

3. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

It was nice having you on our team, Big Al. I understand that you want to another team next year though, and have an offense that can give you an opportunity for a Superbowl ring, and get paid. We just couldn't offer you that here, sorry bud.

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Nate you've got to be the most pessimistic Titans fan ever. If things went your way we'd lose everyone on our team to free agency and be stuck with a franchise riddled with 2-14 seasons, wouldn't we? Haynesworth had one good season, and it was his contract year. We didn't pay him because hes only had one season worth the kind of money that hes asking, and because hes kind of injury prone. Don't know if you noticed but so far he's had to be helped off the field in every game this season. If he stays healthy and keeps performing the way he is then I'm sure we'll shell out the bucks man. Not to mention, nothing you just said was even relevant to the discussion in this thread. 2 QB system=stupid idea

5. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

So, were you lying when you agreed with my last post regarding Haynesworth that read...

"As much as I believe it's important to ensure good contracts from a team standpoint for all players, I also think it's important to reward dominant play. Al is the kind of player who makes everyone else around him better. I hope we can keep him happy with a big payday, and that he continues to offer 2007 type of play alongside KVB for several more years.

In short, lets not play games with him, let's lock him down if he proves he's worth it this year."

***In which YOU responded***

... "Exactly. If we don't shell out some break for Big Al someone else (Jacksonville?) absolutely will."

***That's a mighty quick change of heart on your part :(

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I agree with Big Al, use the two QB's to their strengths.
    If we're behind 2 scores in the 4th with VY, pull him for Collins and the better passing game. No one thinks twice in baseball if you pull your star pitcher late in the game for a closer.

7. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

No, I'm saying that we should pay him when he proves his worth. The end of last season was not an appropriate time to shell out a $45 million like he wanted, if can have a repeat performance this year then bust out the ole checkbook. You're saying that we should have signed the guy to any 8 digit figure he named because he had ONE outstanding year...that to me is jumping the gun. I'm all for rewarding dominant players, but one dominant year isn't enough to make someone the highest paid player at his position.

8. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

what the hell is that?
    i'm de-repping you dude after that post.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

This was an Idea brought to the team when we still had Volek, to play Vince in situational plays. Not a bad Idea, would be interesting to see if we could execute it, I doubt Dinger would go for it though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar