The Haynesworth Situation

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by A Fightin'Titan, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

As we all know Albert Hanyesworth has been franchised this offseason and seemingly will stay that way into the season. His agent has reported that a deal his unlikely and that talks have stalled. Of course Fisher put his "spin" on things saying a deal is still likely to be done by July 15 but as we all know his word doesn't mean squat.
    I want to know what the general consensus on this board is. Do we work a long term deal out now at whatever the cost or do we worry about it next season. His agent had a proposal that if the Titans neglect to get a deal done that they should not franchise him next off season similar to the Lance Briggs or Asante Samuel situations.
    Personally I say we make him play this season and see if what happened last year was the real Haynesworth or just a show to get the big contract. Although it has always seemed Albert was on the road to being a Pro Bowl player something always came up. Whether it being his attitude and aggression or injuries, he always seemed to let the team down.
    So what do you guys think? On one hand we pay the big bucks for him now and pray that the same Al comes to play or we play it by ear and see if he can repeat. Of course if he has another stellar season similar to 07 then we may be paying more money at that point than what we may get away with now.

Franchise him and don't be afraid to franchise him again. I mean how bad can 7.5 mill a year be?

2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

I say that we should make him the highest paid DT in the league. Now. However, we should tie most of that money up in bonuses that require him to meet fitness guidelines and to be healthy for a certain number of games. I'd say that a 6 year 50 mil deal with a 20 mil signing bonus and most of the other 30 mil tied up in the bonuses would be good for both sides.

3. reo

reo Starter

I'm slowly convincing myself that they've told AH and his agent that they won't work out a long term contract until he signs the tender and shows up to camp which is why his agent came out lately saying if they agreed not to tag him next year, that he'll sign it and show up.

IF they don't get him signed long term before the 15th and then after the season, can't get it done before FA next year then we'll tag him again.

4. vslyke

Once he signs the contract, we can not extend until after the season.

And, now I'm confused.

5. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Keep him franchised. and at the end of next year if he doesnt wanna be here anymore cuz hes pissed, I tag him again

6. vslyke

And then he'd get angry, hold out, return out of shape halfway through training camp, get suspended for conduct detrimental to the team when he lashes out at the FO, and get traded for 10 cents on the dollar after the year.

7. reo

reo Starter

We have until the 15th to extend him whether he signs the tag or not but if we can't then we can try again after the season next year to get him extended before FA starts.

8. vslyke

OK. Thanks. I had the impression we could not resign him after he signed his tender.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar