The Jeff Fisher Show

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TNThunder, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

i doubt it will improve very much. This isn't exactly the time of year to grow grass. That is why they are having to bring in complete sod that already has grass. Field turf is so accepted around the league, I would think in the long run it would be so much cheaper to do it that way. Fisher even says they practice on it, so I don't follow how that will help for a game played on grass.

2. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

The problem with re-sodding this time of year is that the new sod does not "attach" itself to the existing ground. The roots need to grow into the existing surface and nothing grows in this region this time of year.
    It's like laying a rug on your carpet and it moves when you push off of it.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

ok. most pro teams don't have to deal with this. I didn't know that... In any case, it sucks for us and I guess it sucks for them too. I love natural grass but I'd rather have field turf if there is no way around having tsu use LP Feild.

I wish someone would make it where tsu has a different place to play.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

They just sodded it again. The Music City Bowl will be just a few days before the final home game. It'll be a goat hole. ;)

5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

i feel a freak accident waiting to happen...

6. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Vanderbilt (and, I assume, several area high schools) don't seem to have a problem with their fields, but they're home to only one team. So I think a grass field CAN survive a season if it's not over-used.

I seem to recall that during the Capitol Hill debates some of the state politicians decided that having TSU play football at a new NFL stadium had a certain cache. They exchanged their vote for that condition and gave up funding to upgrade "the Hole" (TSU's stadium), which was needed even that many years ago.

But now that TSU football has been played at the Coliseum a few years, I've heard several alum talk about missing their home field, especially for certain rivalry games.

I don't know how much it would cost now to upgrade the Hole, but it might not be a bad idea to get some kind of round-figure estimate. If the students/alums favor that and it's affordable, it could kill two birds with one stone: extend the life of the turf at Coliseum, and return TSU football to the intimate -- and sometimes intimidating -- field that some folks miss.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

You call that cabbage patch a field?

8. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

Could it be that the only reason that they are re-sodding the field now is because of Young losing his traction upon planting his right leg during the last drive of the Titans and limping off the field? I think it has everything to do with it. It could be that the Music City bowl officials requested it also and that got things moving a little. Last Sunday, the middle of that field looked terrible. I am quite surprised Bironas was able to make a 60 yard on that dirt. Ours isn't the only field that was trashy looking recently. The Steelers had almost no emblem on their field... and the grass looked terrible on Thursday night. I know grass don't grow good at all in the fall/winter, but how can you expect to play well and not have injuries playing on dirt?

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

The Steelers had their HS football championships there also. Combine that with Pitt playing there, and it's no wonder the field was a mess. Their climate is worse than ours for the growing season. Grass stops growing here in October, so not sure why Fisher is so admament about keeping a natural surface. Not only did Vince slip, but when Peyton was running on 3rd down, one of our LB's slipped and let him make some yards. I believe the Colts were complaining Bironas changed shoes at halftime, and he was kicking with two different looking cleats. Not sure if he does that normally or not. I would encourage Vinateri to always be prepared and carry extra cleats, it's not like a kicker has a lot of other things to worry about.

10. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

When a key player (VY, Henry, Bulluck, etc...) screws up a knee or an ankle because of this, and I mean bad like missing multiple games or god forbid the season, they will change their minds quickly about field turf.

When you re-sod ..... it may be "real" grass but IMO, it is NOT "natural" grass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar