The loyalty of the Titan's organization

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by cdubbs2121, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It is loyalty. The same reason Schwartz stayed until he wanted to leave. The same reason Chuck Cecil will stay no matter what he does in the future.
    Jeff loves his guys. And wont ever make a logical business decision regarding them. That's loyalty.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That the Titans aren't considered a "loyal" organization. Certainly not amongst the most loyal in the NFL.

Our reputation of loyalty is poor.

3. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

Well that and he badmouthed the owner (while all the coaching staff was out scouting, i think it was leinart iirc)

4. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I disagree. I am not saying that we are more loyal than other teams, but I do not think that we are less loyal.

This is a business. Look at roster moves that the elite teams (Patriots, Steelers, Colts, etc) make. Pats move "overvalued" players all of the time (Vrabel, Seymour, Branch, Givens, others), regardless of the level of service they gave the team. Colts and Steelers have moved their share of overvalued talent as well.

I was very unhappy when we let Eddie, and especially Mac, go. But, in retrospect, Eddie was done when we let him go (he wore a very clean Cowboy jersey on Sundays for a season, then became a broadcaster). Steve should have been allowed to stay, but face it, he had one good year, then was out of gas as well, after we let him go. I am a huge Bullock fan, but the practical side of me wants to know more about the status of his rehab (it was an ACL, as you may recall) prior to pushing for his resigning at a premium.

I would like to see people end their career with the Titans as well, but we all want to see them win. Sometimes these two goals are simply not intertwined, especially given what other teams in the league do in the offseason.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

This is a perfect way to put things in perspective. You summed this all up for me too. Nicely done Cheese.

6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I still don't see that as loyalty, I guess it's just a choice of words. I call it stupid f***in douchie Fishbag-ology.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

The argument that it is a buisness, so you must let go of you employees when they are no longer performing, makes no sense to me.

If you are talking purely from a profit perspective, would you make more profit from Having a beaten down Joe Montana starting or Elvis Grbac. The answer is simple. Joe Montana wins. He makes you more money even if you lose a lot of games. So if it's a business, you are loyal to players who have name recognition in-spite of their performance. They have more market appeal.

If the concept is to win, which is what people are realling talkng about. I still do not agree that loyalty should be thrown out the window. The only way to win is to have players. The only way players will come here is through the draft or free agency. Equal number of players on any given roster are aquired through free agency as much as they are drafted. So if you are not loyal, and you are not a reputable frnachise, how can you expect to attract top tier talent who hopes to grow old with you and cash their cow while out to pastyard. You can't. Does anybody really want to work for an organization that will not look out for you, that will not watch out for you as you get older? not really.

I do believe that money rules the roost, and that players will come to play for whoever has the most money, but they are not fools. The most money includes being able to play out your career with a team, and being rewarded for past service, not for what your future worth is. Players who want the money, will sign with franchises with whom they may retire gracefully. It's just common sense. Organizations who are loyal will attract better players, have higher rentention, and will often win more in the long run because of a replenished talent pool. At times they will suffer with an aging veteran, but the sum game wins more often.

8. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

good points dude, although we have shown loyalty to a lot of bums who hang around on the roster for several years

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

OK I'll play ...

Name that Franchise!

there is no NFL franchise that is that altruistic AND a winner

10. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

And that is why 31 franchises lose every year. No loyalty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar