The McNair situation: what to do?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 3, 2006.

?
  1. Leave as is now. McNair becomes a free agent after '06. Titans take a $24 mil cap hit.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Do a two-year deal which lowers his cap hit to $15 - $18 mil for '06 and '07.

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Cut McNair. Take the $14 mil on as dead money. Bring in some FAs with the $10 mil.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

As it stands now, McNair is a Titan for '06 at a cap hit of nearly $24 mil. Though the team may continue to try and rework his deal, his agent has said that '06 money would need to be $10 mil any way you look at it.

If you are Reese, what do you do?

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Try to make best buddies with Nick Saban...

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

ok Jeff... I'm no capologist, so... please help me... if MAC is here for a one year deal with a giant cap #... does that mean that he impacts the cap zero next year ('07 season)... I think "dead money" is the word... I could use some comprehension help here...

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

It's a bluff. McNair will renegotiate and take less. No way he wants to sour his potential retirement "spin-off" income the way Eddie did. If we draft Young, he'll re-negotiate.

5. TitanJeff

Right. As it is now, at the end of '06, McNair is a free agent and off the books. But that means the money which was previously paid in bonuses goes under this year's cap. So, though McNair is set to make $9 mil in base salary and another $1 mil with the option bonus, there is close to $14 mil in stuff already paid which has to be lumped under this year's cap.

Let's say that McNair is willing to rework for a two-year deal. That $14 mil can then be spread out over two years ($7 mil each). So if he is willing to play for $8 mil base in '06 and '07, then you have a cap hit both years of $15 mil.

If they release him, $14 mil is still on the books and would be dead money for '06. But $10 mil would become available now.

I'm not sure if the $1 mil bonus is guaranteed or not. But it isn't due to be paid until September.

6. TitanJeff

I agree. But if the Titans take a QB with #3, why keep McNair around past '06? Whoever is drafted will likely be ready to step in the following season which makes McNair an expensive backup or he gets cut which means another chunk of dead money.

I think the Titans cap future is much better next year (though you have to remember you have Haynesworth, Brown and Calico set to become UFAs) so the team might be able to absorb that dead money easier.

I'm not a capologist like Starkiller so he might give us more insight here and tweak the numbers. But I don't see any ideal situation here because it's time to pay the piper either way you go.

7. Do nothing, at least for now. Wait for the draft. If they take a QB early, let Steve play out his contract and get him off the books. If they don't take a QB, maybe they extend him by a year or 2.

If he's off the books next year, we're way under the cap, assuming there is one...

8. sdavis2k

sdavis2k Guest

The Tennessee Titans and quarterback Steve McNair are set for the upcoming season. The future of dozens of other players around the NFL wasn't so certain after an odd day for the labor negotiations.

The Titans decided Thursday to pay a $1 million fee that will keep McNair with the team this season but allow him to become a free agent after 2006.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflrdp&prov=ap&type=lgns

9. TitanJeff

The Titans can still redo McNair's contract or release him. The $1 mil won't be paid for another six months.

Is that $1 mil guaranteed? I assume it is.

10. TitanJeff

Let's assume two things:

1. The CPA will be worked out so there is a cap.
    2. The Titans get a QB with #3.

With both Reese and Fisher nearing the end of their contracts, another 4-12 or 5-11 season will do them in. Does this add pressure for Reese to try and rework McNair so he can get some talent in on defense (and maybe a WR for Chow)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar