The McNair situation: what to do?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 3, 2006.

?
  1. Leave as is now. McNair becomes a free agent after '06. Titans take a $24 mil cap hit.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Do a two-year deal which lowers his cap hit to $15 - $18 mil for '06 and '07.

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Cut McNair. Take the $14 mil on as dead money. Bring in some FAs with the $10 mil.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Right. Around $24 mil if he stays. $14 mil if he goes.

2. Correct.

3. The $1M will be guaranteed once they pay it. But for now, it's basically like a roster bonus. If they cut/trade him, the number dissapears from the Titans' books.

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I don't know if I can validate McNair counting that much against our cap. I would probably say cut him, let Billy play and let Vince/whomever, learn under Chow.

5. sdavis2k

sdavis2k Guest

I think they might wait for the June 1st cut and have some count this year and next, wouldn't that off set it even lower to more of like $7 this year and 7 next year ?

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'll be interested to listen to the Reese show today to see if he found anything out from the league.

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

hell yeah ... i was just thinking the same thing

we aren't going anywhere this year - Mc or not
    Steve / Billy maybe a few wins difference - no more
    sure Mc could teach a guy a few tricks right ? but only if he's at practice and only if he knew all the tricks. Chow just started implementing and nobody really knows the tricks yet

so ............

get as much for Mc as you can - save $14 mil, get a GOOD vet in a need (LB / S / WR) position and/or some decent picks
    let Billy play, he deserves it. maybe he can build back up some value so we can get MORE good vets / picks for him for '07
    let whoever comes in learn Chow from Chow, not Chow via Mc

I love Mc, but I see NO reason to commmit that if he's gone in a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar