The Most Overrated Movies of All Time

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by RavensShallBurn, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Directors, hmm.

Overrated:

Stanley Kubrick (Dr. Strangelove and The Shining was the only two I truly enjoyed, and little of both had to do with direction.)
    Danny Boyle (127 Hours redeemed him - has done a lot of mediocre films lately)
    Oliver Stone - (Usually pretty pompous and grandiose in his film-making gestures - loved his mini series Wild Palms)
    Ron Howard - (One of the biggest hacks in Hollywood. Jack-of-all trades, master of absolutely none).
    Wes Anderson - (Best thing he did was The Fantastic Mr. Fox - his calling might lie in animation IMO).
    Terrence Malick - (His films can be visually superb. He's also had some absolute stinkers).
    Peter Jackson - (Loved his early days with Brain Dead and Bad Taste. Has been mediocre since)
    George Lucas - (I'm not a Star Wars fan, and most of his work I'd attribute to Spielberg's presence).
    Stephen Spielberg - (Hasn't done much worth mentioning since AI - even that was a mixed bag).

Underrated:
    Sam Peckinpah (Action directors in the 80's and beyond owe their careers to this man. Made slow-motion artful, not over-used cheese. His work is greatly overshadowed by his alcoholism and off-the-set drama).

Walter Hill - (Master of the "man on a mission" films. He was a disciple of Pekinpah's and it shows).

Paul Verhoeven - (Most remember him for Total Recall and Basic Instinct - two very good fllms on their own. But many forget his best films - Flesh + Blood, Robocop, etc.)

Todd Field - (Doesn't do a ton of directing, but he's been masterful in the ones he has - go see Little Children for a crash course in suburban drama).

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Quality...:yes:

Nick Cassavetes is quietly making great movies

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

A double hit......
    Overrated movie Chinatown
    Overrated Director Roman Polanski

4. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Oh and while I'm at it, Taxi Driver is overrated.

It aged dreadfully and has the pacing of an obese turtle. Some may say that poor aging is an unfair way of judging a movie, and that it must be taken in the context of the time it was made, but I call balls on that.

To me, a good movie is timeless. I'm not saying it's the best movie of all time, but 1945's Picture of Dorian Gray has aged very well.

Don't get me wrong, De Niro was great in Taxi Driver, but that's typical De Niro. 113 minutes of film, about 10 minutes of it worthwhile.

If I want good De Niro/Scorsese, I'll take Cape Fear, thanks.

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Catch Me if You Can
    Minority Report
    The Terminal
    Munich

(All since AI... and all great movies IMO)

I couldn't put him on the overrated list because he's done so many great movies that he's allowed a few garbage ones. Since Munich though, he's done absolutely nothing worthwhile.

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Yes, Dr. Strangelove is very good. A Clockwork Orange and the first bit of FMJ are examples of Kubrick working some magic. The rest for the most part seems to drown in pretense..

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Cape Fear is a fun flick, but good god man it ain't even close. It's barely a Scorsese film.
    Taxi Driver is genius.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The vintage Polanski stuff is very good.
    Fearless Vampire Killers, Rosemary's Baby.. Classics.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Overrated/Underrated directors- whatever..
    Just give me the vintage John Waters box set along and a David Lynch Blue Ray collection and I'm good to go.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Through in some Twin Peakes and the Cronenberg collection for good measure, and I'm there with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar