The Next Derrick Mason?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I was just reading draft stuff and I liked the sound of this profile on Derrick Williams from Penn State. I know his stats aren't there due to changes in the offense, but it doesn't sound like it was his fault. Could be a guy to look at in round two for the Titans (I'd say three, but we pick so late I'll almost always say a pick a round up for us, especially if we like them or they seem the Titans' type).

Overall, though, I say two is too high for a slot guy, but he could be more. 5'11", 197 lbs, projected 4.43 40. Really is the same size as Percy Harvin when you think about it, just about a tenth of a second slower. It'll be interesting to see their comparative cone drills.

If anybody knows anything about this kid, let me know.

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2009/showplayer.php?key=Derrick Williams

"Pros: Excellent athleticsm...plays very fast but under control with good elusivness..very quick with his change of direction..solid vision, picks up blockers and finds open spaces after the catch..above average strength for his size..works the middle of the field well..incredible return skills..smart tough competitor who gives everything he has..
    Cons: At 5'11 is considered undersized..does suffer at times from the dropsies..route running is less than desired..for 3.5 season doesnt posses the greatest body of work..what exactly is he?

Draft Exchange Analysis:
    In my opinion derrick is the kind of guy that every team needs, a solid role player. He has shown throughout his college career to be an asset in the running, passing and return games. Derrick will not get drafted according to where he deserves to be, he will be a guy who comes into camp willing to do everything that he is asked to do. He will begin his career as a slot guy and return man, possible wild cat candidate, and probably will help with the kick coverage units. Derrick will be drafted late 2nd early third round to a team looking for a guy who can serve in a Antwan Randle-el type of role."

2. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

he won't last till our 3rd round pick. Remember, we are picking 30th... might as well be a 4th round pick if we dont attempt to trade up. If we don't go for a WR at pick 30, then i hope we nail Williams in the 2nd

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

We could always use the late pick thing by trading down. Get more picks for later drafts.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

He's too much of a runner and not a true outside WR. Not bad for the 2nd rd but not at the same level as hicks and britt.

I'm starting to think that britt is the guy we should snap up at 30.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We like our WRs to be blockers right?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HYzZzufMRU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HYzZzufMRU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

6. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I think Quan Cosby holds the greatest resemblance to Mason then anyone in this class..I wouldn't mind if the Titans picked up Cosby in rounds 5-7.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Same size as Percy Harvin...JUST a tenth of a second slower? A 4.3 guy is as fast or faster than everyone on defense except for the other CB's. At 4.4 speed ur NOT faster than the cb's and don't have as much speed difference between you and the S's and OLB's. That is a BIG tenth!

Even if their cone drills come out even...who has the expected college production and film of elite athleticism? Harvin. The biggest problem with Williams is...how come he couldn't dominate??? How does what he does translate to the NFL? I could see him going anywhere from rnd 2-4. If he runs in the 4.3 range...expect 2nd rnd. If he's in the 4.4's...depends on who likes his game and what their needs are.

Are there any games in which Williams dominated a top 20 or top 10 opponent?

Gut

8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Sold. I want this kid. Mason? How about Hines Ward?

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Projected 40 time gut so why bother until we have a real time to look at?

Eddie royal ran a 4.42 at last years combine and he is a similar prospect. Bobby wade is kind of in that same mold and he only ran a 4.6 which is why i suppose he lasted until round 5. Not sure how it matters.

Steve slaton ran a 4.44 last year and he seems to out run just about every defender on the field.

I would consider the kid in rd 2.

10. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Keep an eye on Jarrett Dillard from Rice. He's small, great hands, and a good route runner. A lot like Mase IMO.

A 4-5 round guy, I'd guess. He's a prime candidate to jump-up with a good combine though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar