The Next Derrick Mason?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Yeah but after our success with CJ last year and the impact made by slaton and sproles there are prob ably several teams looking for a versatile guy with big time speed like harvin.

2. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

4.58 for Derrick Williams.

That's terrible. Say goodbye to day 1.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Britt put up TE numbers lifting 23 reps.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

We got the wrong receiver from Penn State. It's not Derrick Williams. It's Deon Butler. If anyone has heard about the WR combine numbers from the weekend (some said the official times were somehow a little whacked) Deon Butler, who is actually the more productive Penn State WR, ran an unofficial 4.26 40 second to "Johnny Knox" from Abiliene Christian, who ran an unofficial 4.25. The official times for Butler and Knox were 4.38 and 4.34 respectively.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009WR.php

" Deon Butler, Penn State
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 182.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.43.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.38.
    Vertical: 37. Broad: .
    Projected Round (2009): 4-5.
    2/23/09: I aways liked Deon Butler as an underrated receiver. Well, he's not underrated anymore; Deon Butler ran an unofficial 4.26 at the 2009 NFL Combine. He also had a 37-inch vertical. Scouts and GMs will focus on his game tapes and realize that he was Penn State's top wideout; not Derrick Williams.

1/4/09: Despite the presence of Derrick Williams, Deon Butler was the best receiver on Penn State's roster. The only reason he's so low on this list is his size. However, given his work ethic and skill set, he'll be hard to cut. Could be the next Troy Brown.

10/19/08: Deon Butler actually leads the team in receiving. He had eight grabs for 105 yards against Michigan.

5/22/08: Probably the most talented Nittany Lion receiver in this draft class. Unfortunately, Deon Butler's lacking size hurts his draft stock.

2007: Everyone always doubts Deon Butler because of his size, but Butler managed to lead the Nittany Lions in receiving last season with 48 catches and 637 yards. Butler actually had more success as a freshman (691 yards, nine touchdowns), but his production picked up at the end of the year, as Anthony Morelli matured. In fact, Butler had 11 catches for 216 yards in a 33-7 victory against Northwestern. Butler's size will restrict him to the third or fourth rounds, despite the fact that he has the tools of a first-rounder. Definitely a sleeper."

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

He did well for himself. Did alright with the 4.48 40 as well. Only problem I had is he bodies balls a little too often. Casserly suggested something might be off with his eyes, but that should have been checked during the examination phase. Anyway, I think he's talked his way into late round one consideration.

Nicks, by contrast, ran a 4.49 and pulled a hamstring. He really does sound like Boldin in that regard. Hope it's not chronic.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Lol...

You should write movies with your flare for the dramatic as well as making stuff up...

I dumped on Britt? I think some people on this board are slightly over-rating him. He's got nearly everything you want except deep speed and good hands. He body catches too many balls and that can plague a WR in the NFL. If you watch the highlights of him...he body catches the ball alot. Even the link you provided showed a picture of him body catching. And when he ran the guantlet at the combine he let a couple of balls get into him. So this is his biggest knock. He runs good routes, is a good blocker, played in a good offense, put up big #'s. Why is Fitzgerald so successful? Primarily because he has great leaping ability, great body control, is huge...and most importantly...has GREAT hands. This doesn't mean Britt is a bad WR, but that is a negative...how much...you decide for yourself.

My 'dumping' on Britt was me pointing out that Nicks compares very favorably to him. Wow...terrible!

And yes, a 17ypc avg is an impressive stat. Sweed went lower than his ability primarily because he came off an injury season. That's what normally happens. I don't happen to be a Sweed fan and didn't want him last year...I wanted Desean Jackson if you recall.

Gut

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Hehehehe...

You lose!:)

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Quite simply, Crabtree, Maclin, DHB, Harvin, Britt, and Nicks will all be 1st rnd talents on SOMEONE's boards. Crabtree and Maclin will be 1st rndrs are everyone's boards, but the rest can be moved up or down depending on what you want, what you like, and what you dislike. The simple breakdown is...

DHB
    PRO
    - Excellent size, athleticism overall, and the best BURNER in the draft. Excellent deep speed...even for the NFL!
    CON - Not a great route runner. Doesn't have great hands. Doesn't block as well as he should.
    Summary - If you want a big burner...he's the guy. Compares to

Harvin
    PRO - Amazing elusiveness and shiftiness. Threat to score on any play...via the run or catch. Gets open! Tore up top competition in college. Versatile. Might have extra value returning punts.
    CON - What's his position? Can he be a starting RB or WR...or change of pace back and slot WR. Not a prototypical player to drop into a position...team might need to be creative to utilize him best. Didn't run an NFL route tree so will need coaching up. Has had some injuries every year since high school. Doesn't really block.
    Summary - the best offensive playmaker in the draft.

Britt
    PRO
    - Good size, adequate speed, runs good routes, solid (sometimes devastating) blocker. Excellent production.
    CON - More of a body catcher than a hands catcher. Only adequate speed combined with body catching will make it harder for him to be a successful deep threat.
    Summary - Very good all around player. Doesn't have the hands of a top possession guy, but runs good routes to get open and can help in the run blocking department.

Nicks
    PRO
    - Avg size and avg speed. Negates these with superior strength. Will run over anyone after the catch. VERY physical. Has great hands, great concentration and makes the spectacular catch! Never gives up on the ball. Good production. Prototypical possession WR.
    CON - Only adequate speed and size means he'll be challenged to get separation. Needs to improve his route running and quickness out of cuts to separate from NFL cb's.
    Summary - doesn't have the route running of a top possession guy, but has the hands, physicality, determination, and concentration. With better route running and quicks out of breaks, will be a top possession guy at worst.

I doubt all 6 go in rnd 1 but all could. Each team will probably have 3-6 of them graded as first rnd talents...just depends on who's available where and who wants what. I don't see Harvin dropping out of rnd 2. He's too good of a playmaker to fall to rnd 3.

Gut

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Was he one of the guys that showed up sick? His Pro Day will make or break him....especially since guys like Mike Thomas look like they are moving up!

Gut

10. Brian

Brian Big Fan

If you run a lot of two TE sets and drafted your slot guy last year it certainly is. Otherwise I couldn't disagree more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar