The NFL labor agreement thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

The player's elected representatives have been there the whole time. Even though this is not a union anymore, they are still functioning as one. I doubt that the player's reps were not up to speed, and if they were they were negligent in doing their job. At any rate, in other union negotiations the contracts are negotiated by the reps, and the union typically votes on the reps recommendations. As such, I do not buy the "they need time to read the contract" argument.

I have not seen the deal...that is correct. My comment was more to the tactics I am seeing D. Smith utilizing. I have seen this before (moving the goalposts at the 11th hour), usually done by someone getting paid by the hour....which is why I equate him to a T&M litigator. Hopefully the players wake up to this soon, before it really starts hitting them in the wallet.

2. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Totally agree! Classic stuff right there. Great show! I actually bought some TFTC DVD's a while back. As soon as the intro started I was like
    [​IMG]
    I stayed that way for hours.

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Vincent Jackson is now willing to release his claim in the Brady v. NFL lawsuit "without compensation."
    Meaning, he is no longer demanding either $10 million or unrestricted free agency. This was one of the last remaining hurdles between the players and taking a vote on a new CBA, and a very good sign that they will likely do so at some point this weekend.

4. jessestylex

As expected, the *NFLPA is continuing to work over the weekend toward taking a vote on the new CBA. It never seemed likely that the *NFLPA would just pack in and head home for the weekend, and per NFL Network's Albert Breer, they are very much still working toward taking a vote. However, there's been nothing to suggest as of yet they will be ready to do so on Saturday That could change quickly, though.

5. jessestylex

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports "major progress" has been made in Saturday's CBA negotiations, and that the NFLPA* Executive Committee will meet on Monday and likely recommend ratification of the agreement.
    As we've learned the hard way in recent days, it's best not to get too excited until the deal is actually done, but the finish line is as close as it has ever been. NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports free agency could begin "around" Wednesday, with training camps following on Friday.

6. jessestylex

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports NFLPA* chief DeMaurice Smith and commissioner Roger Goodell "have worked directly to assure" that nothing else goes "off path" in the CBA negotiations, and that a press conference announcing the players' intention to ratify the agreement can be expected on Monday.

Mortensen also reports that in this scenario teams could begin negotiating with free agents on Wednesday, but not sign them until next Saturday. It's easy to be skeptical and expect another setback, but this sure sounds like the end of this nearly five-month odyssey.

Thats a wrap boys! get ready for a frenzy next week!

7. jessestylex

Pro Football Talk has spoken with a league source that says the new collective bargaining agreement will be good for 10 years, and that neither the owners nor the players will have an early opt-out provision.
    The players had reportedly been seeking the ability to opt-out of the new CBA after seven years, but it doesn't appear the motion got far. Using a clause available to both sides, the owners opted out of the most recent CBA, agreed to in 2006, in May of 2008.

8. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

The NFL's players association and owners groups have reached agreement on the remaining points needed in their 10-year labor deal, sources from both sides said.

Despite the fact the new deal will require a majority vote from the players, a deal between the two sides is considered a formality, according to sources.

The NFLPA is making plans for a major press conference Monday. But first the player reps are scheduled to fly to Washington, D.C., on Sunday so they can vote Monday.

Yet just as the NFL was not going to call a vote Thursday in Atlanta without knowing it would pass in the way it did -- 31-0 with one abstention -- the NFLPA is doing the same.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith knows his executive committee, his players reps and the rest of his constituents well enough to know how they will vote.

Plus, no CBA has ever been turned down by the players when approved by leadership.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6...ners-players-come-deal-all-points-sources-say

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Hopefully, I will be happy to say I am wrong here. Also, hopefully, I have not jinxed this whole deal by printing out the 2011 Titans schedule and posting it to my home office wall this afternoon.

If this gets done, it will definitely be a fast moving couple of weeks here. Fasten the seatbelts and put all tray tables and seatbacks in the upright and locked positions.

10. jessestylex

JasonLaCanfora, Email from Drew Brees to Saints players indicates "expected" deal and press conference Monday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar