The Official Chris Johnson Holdout Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 24, Jul 27, 2011.

?
  1. Pay him top playmaker money.

11.8%
  2. Make him the highest-paid RB.

66.2%
  3. Give him an increase to the put him among the top 5 RBs.

15.4%
  4. Make him honor his current contract or trade him.

6.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

2. costarica2

costarica2 Banned forever

Lets wait after the 3rd preseason game that's when this stuff usually gets done.

3. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

If we were to trade cj what would you guys want? Would you do it for a good not great back like Bradshaw+a first? Or would you rather have all picks? Would you trade him for a great safety? Etc.

4. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

If I had to guess, I'd say CJ will get a contract after the coaching staff has decided on who all they are keeping and the Titans have trimmed the fat, CJ will then get what's left.

5. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Agree, he is like a larger version of CJ moving in slo mo though.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First of all are you talking about the Manning that just signed a 23 mil per year deal?

Secondly are you actually saying you would trade CJ for a mid 1st and 2nd round draft picks? When CJ still has two years on his current deal?

Thirdly, do you really believe paying CJ 10 mil a year will cripple the franchise because the CAP will be full?

It is hard to know where to start. First of all I'm not sure how you figure we can get anything close to equal value by trading him for a couple of draft picks but use some logic. Even 1st and 2nd round picks have risks and we would be very lucky to find two good quality starters and extremely lucky to find anything close to a super star. There is always this ridiculous assumption that draft picks are automatically good. No, trading CJ for those picks has a very high potential of leaving the team with less talent since we trade away a super star for unknown players.

Secondly, paying CJ 10 mil a year won't kill our CAP which this year is at 120 mil but will increase each year. You mentioned Manning but explain why the Colts have the money to pay a mega amount to a QB and still have guys liike Freeney on the roster? Since Manning makes close to double what CJ would get explain that? Every team of any worth has core players making good money. It is a neccesity and I'm sorry but getting rid of your best player doesn't translate into having a better team.

Obviously there is some point where MR has to say we can't go that high. But people talk like the whole team would be dismantled and be in CAP hell for an eternity if we pay ONE guy decent money. Who the heck do we have we are paying now? I could free up more 10 mil of CAP space by having discussions with Hope, Gage and Haye. Heck, that would free up enough to pay Finnegan as well.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Former NFL executive Andrew Brandt believes Chris Johnson will get a new contract a week before the season opener.
    Brandt spent ten years negotiating contracts and managing the salary cap for the Packers, so his opinion holds water. He believes Johnson will agree to terms just in time to get ready for Week 1, securing a five-year deal worth a total of $56-$58 million. While Brandt has no inside information, things in the NFL tend to get done at the last possible minute. We're not downgrading Johnson on draft boards just yet.

8. TitanDoug

TitanDoug Special Teams Standout

I don't see CJ's 10-12 mil being any sort of cap crippler.

With the QB spot locked down for 12-13 or less for the next couple of years (9 for Matt, 4 for Jake, less if we go with Jake and cut Matt), we can pay CJ 12 mil and still be paying around what the Colts/Pats are paying for 1 player. And we'll be around the average for total backfield pay - QB/RBs.

9. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

That deal would of already been offered if it were coming and this conversation wouldn't be happening....

I just don't see the Titans offering that much..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar