The Official Chris Johnson Holdout Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 24, Jul 27, 2011.

?
  1. Pay him top playmaker money.

11.8%
  2. Make him the highest-paid RB.

66.2%
  3. Give him an increase to the put him among the top 5 RBs.

15.4%
  4. Make him honor his current contract or trade him.

6.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

so if CJ had not whinned and complained he would be heading into FA soon and be elegible for these types of paydays.

Dude signed TWO contracts of his own freewill. No sympathy from me over this. CJ has already pocketed 2 signing bonuses and he owes the Titans I think 2 more seasons before he is franchised and then he can become a FA.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

probably right, but his actions - if he holds out - would be dishonorable IMO.

Just cause everyone else does it does not make it right. Definalty legal don't misunderstand me, but still not right.

3. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

With the fines, he'll run out of money before the 1st regular season is played, if he doesn't get a new contract and holds out.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Pretty sure you could pay CJ in Monopoly money and he would never know until his bank rejected it.

We give this guy a ton of money we're screwing ourselves.

5. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I don't care much for Jamie Dukes on NFL Network, but he said it best:
    Running back are a dime a dozen, except for 2 guys: CJ and AP. Those guys are top 10 players, those guys are special. You pay them, you don't deal them

I couldn't agree more. There are lots of real good back. Jamaal Charles, Arian Foster, DeAngelo Williams, Ahmad Bradshaw, etc. CJ and AP though, those are the only guys who have been crushing it every year since they've been in the league. He'll want 5 years $50 million, and that's what we should give him. He's our guy. As injury prone as everyone seems to think he'll be, he doesn't miss games from injuries, and he's played banged up and still produced. He's had GREAT numbers in every capacity in all three of his seasons. By any other measuring stick, he's outstanding; people on this forum (Deuce) just don't seem to give him his due and proper because he doesn't weigh 235 and he's a Titan.

If this team gets it together in a hurry, we could be good. Definitely above average. We just have holes to fill and kinks to work out. Luckily for us, all that will more or less happen by next weekend.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Unfortunately, it's a business. Not a morality contest. If we don't give him big bucks, someone will, because he's a superstar. Arguably the best in the world at what you do=payday. How much do we owe Vince this year? Nothing, because we're cutting him. The scheduled ~$8 million (ballpark estimate) he was to make just vanished because we decided it's not worth it. Well, $1 million isn't worth the production and revenue CJ brings to the table. The road goes both ways, and CJ has every right to hold out until he gets the money he's earned.

7. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Pay da man!!

I don't ever want to hear any of you talk about signing big name FA's when we have one of the best players in the league and you complain about him wanting to get paid.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

As soon as Joe Nedney shows up with 2 years CAP he stole from the Titans I'll agree wholeheartedly with this. Seems the players who underperform do not ask to have their salaries reduced because of under performance.

PLUS CJ already has 2 signing bonuses he has already been paid for this season. Too say his only pay is his base is disingenuous

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Da Man is under contract for a couple of years already, pay de other mens!

10. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

The Titans have the option to cut any player they feel is under performing and isn't worth the money they pay them. No one would ever ask to have a salary reduced; that's ridiculous.

CJ's deal is 5 years, $12 million. $7 million guaranteed.http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/chris-johnson/

His entire 5 year contract's guaranteed value is less then his market value for a single season. He was drafted late in the first round, given an appropriate contract for that position, and has outperformed it in every sense of the word for three consecutive seasons. He settled for a measly (term used lightly) $2 million last year in good faith that he'd get a deal this year. He was top 5 in rushing and scored 11 TD after that, further strengthening the firm leg on which he already stood.

I'm not being disingenuous, I'm stating the clear economic data that shows CJ has every right to hold out until he's paid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar